Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Hi,

I bought a MacBook last week from the online Apple education store. Before the new 2.4 GHz Penyrn MacBooks were announced, I'd already reported to AppleCare that I'm having a problem with AirPort intermittently losing the signal, even though my husband's Rev A MacBook still had a full signal. So, I've documented "defects" to Apple, though this problem doesn't bother me that much, as it's about once a day and easily fixed by just clicking the AirPort icon....

So...should I switch it for the new MacBook?

How does that work -- do I call up the online edu store, or do I go to a brick and mortars Apple retail store? Do you erase your hard drives in advance and then re-install everything via an external hard drive? hmm...decision, decisions...

thanks for any input you may have :)

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
the 2.2 already pulls about 5 hour battery life easy..

maybe the 2.4 can do 6?

that would be cool, but other than that, not really any reason to

sculptor

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Yes, if you can exchange it without restocking fee...

More ram, bigger hd, etc...

.......Curtis

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
That's an unnecessary...

Hi,

I bought a MacBook last week from the online Apple education store. Before the new 2.4 GHz Penyrn MacBooks were announced, I'd already reported to AppleCare that I'm having a problem with AirPort intermittently losing the signal, even though my husband's Rev A MacBook still had a full signal. So, I've documented "defects" to Apple, though this problem doesn't bother me that much, as it's about once a day and easily fixed by just clicking the AirPort icon....

How does that work -- do I call up the online edu store, or do I go to a brick and mortars Apple retail store? Do you erase your hard drives in advance and then re-install everything via an external hard drive? hmm...decision, decisions...

procedure and it can be monotonous for some of us. Your patience with that DEFECT, is more than I can fathom! Send it back, and go with the new MB 2.4 Penyrn 250GB HD 2GBDDR and be adamant that it's an "exchange" and not a "return" thereby alleviating the "re-stock fee!" Are you anywhere near an Apple Store? :cool:

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Your patience with that DEFECT, is more than I can fathom!
Heh, well, as I said, it's about once a day...if it were every 15 minutes, I'd fly back to the Apple Store to exchange it.

So...how does the exchange process actually work -- do I have to copy my user profile with Time Machine to an external HD and then transfer everything from the external HD using Setup Assistant upon start-up? i.e. should I go to the Apple store with my HD already erased?

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
if you can return it under the limitations of the return policy stated by apple, I would.. back your data up, wipe the system clean with the dvd's that came with your system and take it back for a refund.. then buy the updated macbook.. that extra .2 ghz might come in handy down the road..

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Hi,

Yes! Exchange it. I did. The new version runs a little better.

MathGenius

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
Are you qualified to buy with an edu discount?

How did you qualify to get it from the online store?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Its more than a speed bump...its a move from 65 nm to 45 nm, thus creating a cooler running chip. If it was a hundred or so MHz's, that might or might not be enough reason, but given the CPU will run cooler and longer makes it a no brainer.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
if its going to cost you any money, I would say no unless it really bothers you and that is what your heart desires....just don't lose sleep over it ;)

thepandamancan

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Burbank, CA
Heh, well, as I said, it's about once a day...if it were every 15 minutes, I'd fly back to the Apple Store to exchange it.

So...how does the exchange process actually work -- do I have to copy my user profile with Time Machine to an external HD and then transfer everything from the external HD using Setup Assistant upon start-up? i.e. should I go to the Apple store with my HD already erased?

Yes, thats what you would do. Either clone it with Super Duper!/Carbon Copy Cloner or the easier way, just do a time machine backup then use migration assistant. I like doing a clone because its bootable.

I would say erase your HD before you go. Worst case scenario, you can't return it but you can always just restore everything with your backup. It's smart to wipe the drive clean (I'd do the 35 pass wipe...but maybe that's excessive) because I've heard of stories of people getting refurbished Macs that still had another users data on the HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.