Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloriousldpc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2023
I have got a phone from china, it seems not that bad, but the name is a little stupid, vivo, is the name made by Italian guy?

People often disparage "cheap Chinese" knock-offs, but the salient feature here is cheapness and dodgy branding, not the fact that they're made in China. Geopolitics aside, the Chinese are absolutely capable of building good stuff, as demonstrated by brands like vivo.

www.pvpcart.com_.jpg

www.lootdude.com_.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have got a phone from china, it seems not that bad, but the name is a little stupid, vivo, is the name made by Italian guy?

People often disparage "cheap Chinese" knock-offs, but the salient feature here is cheapness and dodgy branding, not the fact that they're made in China. Geopolitics aside, the Chinese are absolutely capable of building good stuff, as demonstrated by brands like vivo.

www.pvpcart.com_.jpg

www.lootdude.com_.jpg
All our phones are made in China.
But it’s the software that is of value for me on an Apple product.

Reactions: decafjava

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
What do the FCC/CE markings look like (and does it have an FCC report on the OET database)? Does it bake your brain or is it tested to the applicable standards by a reputable independent test house?

I have no doubt it works ok for the price, even if not fully as-advertised. But I'd personally be more worried if it catches fire on planes or fails SAR testing. I have no doubt the chinese can build great cheap phones, and it may be completely compliant with all the standards it should be, but I just worry more about the traceability of various safety parameters if it came from a "dodgy chinese website" before either putting it on charge in my house while I'm asleep, or putting it's transmitter against my head. 🤷‍♂️

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
What do the FCC/CE markings look like (and does it have an FCC report on the OET database)? Does it bake your brain or is it tested to the applicable standards by a reputable independent test house?

I have no doubt it works ok for the price, even if not fully as-advertised. But I'd personally be more worried if it catches fire on planes or fails SAR testing. I have no doubt the chinese can build great cheap phones, and it may be completely compliant with all the standards it should be, but I just worry more about the traceability of various safety parameters if it came from a "dodgy chinese website" before either putting it on charge in my house while I'm asleep, or putting it's transmitter against my head. 🤷‍♂️
Good points. I would also add warranty support, after sales service, cellular band support, and update support.

I think there are just too many good cheap supported options these days like getting a Pixel a series on sale or a Samsung a series. At least those phones are properly tested, supported and updated.

Heck if you want to spend $200 or less even a Motorola phone is a better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.