Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I picked up a DS Lite today. I wasn't planning on it at all, but my mom was nice enough to buy one for me when we were out shopping. Anyway, I bought Wario Master of Disguise because I really enjoyed the Wario games on Game Boy and GBA and figured it would be good. Now that I'm home I see that it has gotten mediocre reviews and I'm thinking about returning it (haven't opened it). Does anyone here have it, and how is it?

Also, what games does everyone recommend for the DS? I generally like platform games, puzzle games, racing games, adventure games. I don't like RPGs, strategy games, etc. To be honest, I've always thought the DS library looked weak compared to the PSP (I have a PSP too) but I know there are a whole lot of people here and elsewhere that disagree, so I'm wondering what games people would recommend.

Finally, what about cases, screen protectors etc? I really don't like the idea of using a stylus directly on an unprotected screen as I'm sort of a stickler for keeping my screens unscratched.

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
New Super Mario Bros is supposed to be the best. Im personally getting an R4DS, so i can get *stuff*

Diejws

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Arkansas
The New Super Mario Bros. (Platform)
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 (Puzzle... kind of)
Meteos (Puzzle)
Super Mario 64 DS (Platform)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hotel Dusk
Puzzle Quest (I think it's called?)
42 All Time Classics
Mario 64 & New Mario
Metroid
Tetris
Mario Kart
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Nanostray
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.

In any order.

Don't worry about the screens. Even my imported US launch original DS, with all its exessive hours of play hasn't got a scratch on the screen. So long as you keep it dust free and don't use the stylus whilst it's dirty you'll be okay.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
new super mario bros. is a must. it's the best platformer to come along in years (perhaps ever). you also can't go wrong with mario kart, any of the castlevania games, metroid or tetris. planet puzzle league is the same game as tetris attack if you remember that one. it's a puzzle game whose only similarity to tetris is its addictive gameplay. ign has an editors' choice section of their top games. check it out.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
new super mario bros. is a must. it's the best platformer to come along in years (perhaps ever).

I don't think it's a patch on the old 2D games. I just prefer the pixel-precision, it's not like it'a a bad game at all.
Definitely worth getting, though.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I just picked up New Super Mario Bros. It seems fun so far. My girlfriend is enjoying it as I type this. :p

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you like puzzles get Trauma Center or Puzzle Quest. Brain Age is a staple DS game that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet.

Lethal

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mario Kart
NSMB
Tetris
Castlevania [any/all]
Wario Touched

My son loves the new Pokemon games, but he's only six and I'm not sure he knows what the heck he's doing yet.:p We pre-ordered Diamond for his birthday, and then he simply had to have Pearl because his birthday cash was burning a hole in his pocket. There was no talking him out of it, even though he went to the store determined to buy Diddy Kong Racing. I supposed I should put one in my DS and play with him, but Pokemon holds little interest for me. Too busy playing Jet Moto on my PSP.

I haven't heard anything about the Wario game you got, but I'm sure someone will post an opinion/review in here shortly.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I took Wario back today. Haven't bought any other DS games yet, but my brother is loaning me NSMB, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Has the same kind of gameplay that made the NES SMB so fun, but it has been updated to keep up.

As an aside, while I was out and about today, I saw Crush (for PSP) which I had been unable to find earlier this week when it was released. Really enjoying it too. It has very unique game play (even if the basic 2D<->3D idea is in Super Paper Mario).

Anybody have an opinion on Kirby Squeak Squad? I had Kirby something-or-other for the original Game Boy and really liked it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I cannot stand Squeak Squad. It tries to play like Knightmare in Dreamland with half-assed touchscreen controls and lack of charm (which is what Kirby has always been about IMO). Just feels really recycled to me, a more refreshing choice would be Canvas Curse. It's entirely it's own game, it's own genre (inc. gameplay and music).

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
elite beat agents
cooking mama
and i know you said you don't like strategy, but check out advance wars...i normally can't stand turn-based strategy but advance wars is incredibly fun

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
These are the top 50 DS games from GameStats.com.
2004559934490743716_rs.jpg

2004977126806095781_rs.jpg

My personal favourites are:
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
  • Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Any Castlevania game
  • Tetris DS
  • Phoenix Wright 1 & 2
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Zoo Keeper
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters
  • Wario Ware: Touched
Oh, and assuming you don't have a GBA, there are loads of great games for that, that you can now play. They'll be really cheap too.

Sorry for the really long post. :eek:

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Yay, ill be getting my DS lite tomorrow... is the DS as addictive as consoles like the 360?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
What GBA games would people recommend to buy? I had a GBA for all of three days before it was stolen and I never replaced it. The only game I had which wasn't stolen was Doom, and I just put it into my DS this evening and had a 30 minute bash on it and loved it. Just wondering if there's any others I should look out for?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Don't even ask that :D

Golden Sun 1&2 (It's been years since they came out and I still haven't found a better RPG)
Advance Wars 1&2
Fire Emblem
Zelda: Minish Cap
Metroid Zero Mission & Fusion
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Sonic Advance 1
Street Fighter 3 Alpha
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls & Tactics
Warioland 4

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Congratulations on owning one of the greatest gaming systems of all time...aside from the SNES.

The big thing to keep in mind with the DS is that there are tons of third party titles that are just as good, if not better, than the Nintendo games, so don't be afraid to open up and try some new titles that may not be "familiar" to you. The DS is also a region-free device, meaning you can buy and play DS games that were released anywhere in the world. Most people already mentioned all the top games, so I'll give a couple short reviews:

Elite Beat Agents is a MUST, even if you aren't a huge fan of the soundtrack. The gameplay (a touch screen version of 'DDR' if you will) truely outshines the music in every way, and as you play you start forgetting how much you hate artists like Ashley Simpson and Avril Lavigne (well, maybe you enjoy them, but I don't). If for some reason you can't get past the music, you can purchase the Japanese titles that this game originated from (titled Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!) which features a J-Pop/J-Rock soundtrack, obviously.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All - Phoenix Wright has been an ongoing series in Japan, and luckily it is now being released in the U.S. So far only two of the three titles (soon to be four) have been released in the U.S., but the third is on its way soon. The game is heavily text based, but with a lot of interactivity. To put it simply, it's a detective/lawyer game. You look for clues and evidence that would prove your client is not guilty of a crime they've been accused of. It may sound boring on paper, but the stories and gameplay are surprisingly really great.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife - You play the role of a doctor and use the touch screen to do everything from removing simple throat polyps to removing fictional viruses planted by a terrorist organization. Tons of fun, but gets difficult towards the end.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - Probably the most popular titles right now on the DS. If you've played Pokemon before then you'll know what this is. It has some nice graphical updates and a useful global wi-fi trading system, but otherwise the gameplay hasn't changed much.

Lunar Knights - Created by the person that made the Metal Gear Solid series. Great action/RPG with gameplay that's been compared to the top-down Zelda games. The only downside is that all the action takes play in "dungeons" only...the rest of the story is given using still-art/text and cut scenes (which still look really beautiful on the DS)

Bleach DS/Bleach DS 2 - These games are only available in Japanese and you have to hunt it down online to find it, but you can play it on any DS. With a little help of some online FAQs, the game is very easy to figure out, even with knowing zero Japanese. It's a fantastic fighting game comparable to dare I say, Street Fighter?

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow/Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Two exclusive Castlevania titles for the DS. Definitely some of the best games on this system. Long and addictive action-adventure-RPG.

Animal Crossing: Wild World - If you're a fan of life simulation games like The Sims, you'll probably enjoy this slightly simplified version where you play a boy/girl that moves into a town inhabited by animals. You earn money by doing simple tasks and you gradually use the money to make your house bigger and buy items for the house or clothing to customize your character. It's a hit or miss title, and it does get boring eventually, but I always find myself coming back to it. Tons of replay value and very addictive.

These are all games that I own and enjoy. The biggest problem with the DS is that there are so many great titles that you'll have a hard time affording to buy them all or play them all for that matter (I never had this problem with my PSP! ;) )

As far as screen protectors, I wouldn't worry about them. I had some on my DS originally, but I took them off at one point and never looked back. Believe it or not, the screens are very scratch resistant, even with heavy use. Just keep a soft cloth close (the ones for cleaning eyeglasses are great) and you can just wipe the "scratches" away.

For cases...I've been using my PSP soft case ironically. I'm thinking of purchasing this case though: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802602
It seems to have gotten good reviews and it looks like a good case overall...plus it's cheap, which you can't go wrong with.

If you have any more questions about the DS, let me know...I'm kind of a DS addict, incase you can't tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.