Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdparrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
I just received a Macintosh SE from a family member. I looked up the serial number from this site (http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Mac-Serialnumber-decoder-e.php) and was told that I had a Macintosh SE from the 1986 production and was the 13,475th produced in that year. Looking at Wikipedia it says this model wasn't produced until 1987. Can someone explain what is going on? Also, can anyone suggest a restoration or repair capability for one of these machines?

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
I just received a Macintosh SE from a family member. I looked up the serial number from this site (http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Mac-Serialnumber-decoder-e.php) and was told that I had a Macintosh SE from the 1986 production and was the 13,475th produced in that year. Looking at Wikipedia it says this model wasn't produced until 1987. Can someone explain what is going on? Also, can anyone suggest a restoration or repair capability for one of these machines?
I might be able to help you out. I'm currently working on three of them right now. What kind of restoration / repair help do you need?

20200126_134433.jpg

Feel free to PM me if I don't respond (I do not check this forum regularly).

Reactions: bobesch

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Machines are given a serial number at time of manufacture. The first machines are made prior to the release date. This means the first machines sold are often dated a few months prior (especially way back in the 1980s).

Reactions: Nermal

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
First, make sure that you're entering the serial number correctly! The second character is the last digit of the year it was made - so if your serial number starts with "F6" then it was indeed made in 1986.

They always had to start production months ahead of actual "went on sale" date to have inventory to sell. The SE was officially released in March 1987, so having production start in late 1986 makes sense.

I have an original Macintosh (aka "Macintosh 128k") that has a manufacture date of mid-December 1983, a month before it was unveiled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.