Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paola105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I finally got a 15" MBP! After months of waiting I finally got it for my birthday. I just couldn't wait another month for Leopard. I can always get it later. I'm very happy that it's perfect. Well almost. It's a bit uneven when closed but it's not a big deal.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Well good for you and it's really not a big deal you can always upgrade to Leopard when you want. If you are a student don't forget you will get a discount when you upgrade to Leopard.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
My room mate's MBP had a minor curvature in the screen when closed like you mentioned, luckily, it's really easy to fix. Just put two semi-heavy books on it while closed and let it be for about an hour. After doing this, his MBP was completely normal.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
My room mate's MBP had a minor curvature in the screen when closed like you mentioned, luckily, it's really easy to fix. Just put two semi-heavy books on it while closed and let it be for about an hour. After doing this, his MBP was completely normal.

I have a TINY curvature on my MB! Thanks for this tip!

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I finally got a 15" MBP! After months of waiting I finally got it for my birthday. I just couldn't wait another month for Leopard. I can always get it later. I'm very happy that it's perfect. Well almost. It's a bit uneven when closed but it's not a big deal.

Do you have that yellowing of the screen on the bottom 3rd?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Let us know how it turns out. I might wanna try it. :D

The only concern I would have would be the keyboard marring the screen.

I use that thin slice of (whatever its called) that came with the unit. I always put it between the screen and the keyboard when I know it will be closed for some time. I have a powerbook G3 and the "marring" as you put it looks painfully obvious especially when powered down.

My has a little curve but I do not care. This machine is my workhorse and it will be beaten up, scratched, & dented eventually as I bring it everywhere. So long as it functions properly the cosmetic damage I am willing to overlook. :)

Do note I have no plans to sell the machine.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Realistically, you wouldn't want to migrate to leopard until at least 10.5.2. That is where Apple OSs start becoming stable. So probably November/December.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Congratulations! I can't wait 'til I get my hands on mine tomorrow when it (finally) gets delivered! This has been the longest 3 days of my life! Haha.

Is this your first mac?

paola105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Congratulations! I can't wait 'til I get my hands on mine tomorrow when it (finally) gets delivered! This has been the longest 3 days of my life! Haha.

Is this your first mac?

Yup. And I'm very happy with it.

panthersweat

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I ordered mine last night, couldn't wait for Leopard nor these new rumored MBP's. So if they do release something spectacular, don't feel like you're the only one left out!

paola105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I ordered mine last night, couldn't wait for Leopard nor these new rumored MBP's. So if they do release something spectacular, don't feel like you're the only one left out!

I don't even care about the next MBP upgrade. The current MBP is a great machine and it will last a long time. And Leopard can always be bought separately. It's not even that expensive.

fedgirl

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
I don't even care about the next MBP upgrade. The current MBP is a great machine and it will last a long time. And Leopard can always be bought separately. It's not even that expensive.

My thoughts exactly! It doesn't make sense to wait....:) I am glad I got my macbook pro, it was the best decision to get it now instead of waiting.

Scottyfrombi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
I am with you on this one, couldn't wait either. I ordered a 15" MBP last week and they cited a 7-10 shipping date while the 17" was immediately available. I couldn't imagine based on everything I have read in rumors and other forums that there is anything dramatic on the horizon that would in any way alter the way I use the MBP. The current build is fast enough (there will always be little bumps in speed but none big enough to wait for IMO). It's nice looking and has an LED backlit screen which is the only big thing I would have waited for if I knew it was coming and was not available in a current design. It has enough connections and is light enough, long enough battery life, sounds good, (the one I listened to in the store sounded good at least, will have to wait to see on that, have read posts of undesirable noises). fast wireless and bluetooth. In fact, except for the internal hard drive, this 15" x 1" laptop does pretty much everything my G5 desktop does in many cases better.

Why wait. Oh yeah, Leopard! Well, every forum on the internet seems to have posters who say they are waiting for Leopard before ordering in hopes that there will be a better MBP which will come with the next gen OS. So if you think waiting for a week for a 15" MBP is hard, once Leopard is released it may take a lot longer to get that new MBP in any size. Also, when it comes with the first release of Leopard, are you willing to risk the pains and sufferings of a first gen OS upgrade? Look at iLife. It is just now getting it right and that is just an application suite. Nothing near as complicated as an OS. When Tiger came out, there were many users who lost whole external hard drives from incompatible devices. May or may not happen, but there will be a lot of drivers and devices which will go through their initial rushed releases until thousands and thousands of complaining users motivate them to get it right. That may be the best time to upgrade.

IN the mean time, the current SR MBP is a superb machine and Tiger is a very mature well oiled very functional OS with interfaces with almost every 3rd party software and device.

I say order now, then sit back and enjoy the chaos unfold when the hords converge on Leopard and post Leopard laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.