Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Yeah. It came with Ratchet and Clank, some dumb ATV game, the network adapter, and two controllers. for 30 bucks.

So now I need to know how I can set it up in my room using a VGA CRT monitor.

Advice appreciated!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
They used to make VGA Boxes for the Dreamcast, but I don't know if something similar is available for the PS2.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I just got one today for 40...could I gotten it for less, but some kid was looking at it, so I went for a quick buy, and gave him the price. I got GTA and Bully..only one controller...I'm off today to pick up some games.

I also got 2 working intellivisions! And tons of games for them for 15(plus a NES Zapper and 3 NES games)

Got to love yard sales! Also found a family who is selling some Sega systems next week...needless to say I'll be going back to get them(the lady said he son had 3!! I'm hoping for a Master System..and maybe some weird add ons...or Saturn for NiGHTS..but anything Sega would be nice!)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd love a cheap PS2. They're going for £90 here second hand ($180 to you folks). Which is grossly over what they're worth. Plus when the laser goes I won't feel as bad if I spent a tiny amount.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
am i the only person who bought a ps2 when they came out? :p

I got one when MGS2 came out (was it launch? I can't remember) but I didn't like the game or anything already out or coming out. So I sold it and only lost a few quid.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Ok. I think I may have found a relatively free solution.

We have one of those old G3's. The ones before the iMacs that had every input known to man? :D It has the yellow,white,red both IN and OUT, and what looks and is labled S-Video IN and OUT. (do they have different plugins for in and out)?

Pics are what the back looks like. I know they're a little blurry. my question is how do I use this to hook up the ps2 to? :)

Thanks for any help.

PICT3992.jpg

PICT3993.jpg

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Wow, was that an add on I wonder... don't remember G3's coming with those ports.

I guess if you have input ports, go ahead an give it a try. The yellow is a composite video port, the red/white are stereo audio ports. Then S-Video. The PS2 normally comes with a composite video cable with audio (Yellow Red White). You're PS2 came with that cable, right?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Some kind of video editing program that can use those ports.

iMovie might be worth a shot.

I wonder if Mac OS X even recognizes those ports. Those same ports are on some video cards, but I don't know what program they require to get actual video on your screen.

I was going to say you need a video upscaler of some kind if you wanted hook up your PS2 via VGA. I have a NextVision N6 on my desk that I use for all of my consoles hooked up to my Samsung LCD.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Well it works. :D

I used the old "Apple Video Player" for OS 9 and as soon as I plugged it in, the video came up. lol!

But I don't have any sound, which sucks. Any suggestions why the red and whites aren't working?

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Update:

Got the sound working. Turns out you have to go the control panel, make sure nothing is using the source, and select RCA Stereo/Sound.

Boom! It's working. Go Apple! :D

Wtf does this computer have all this awesome inputs/outputs? This computer must have been uber expensive back in the day (we got it for 25 dollars)

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Yeah. The video quality is pretty good too. :D

I never expected this to work but hey! Good luck huh?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My beige G3 certainly didn't have all those inputs, but I think that I recall an optional add-on (ie. not third-party).

Now, can someone figure out a way to use my PS2 on my MBP screen? :p

As a side note, a friend was around this weekend and he has an LCD attached to his PS2. It also has internal speakers. If I recall correctly, it's from a company called Joytech.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Now, can someone figure out a way to use my PS2 on my MBP screen? :p

It's quite easy. El Gato products... The cheapest one of their products that you can use is the EyeTV Hybrid, but there's also EyeTV 250.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I have a Kworld 1440 VGA box for this.

Got it from Newegg for 65 bucks. Has composite, S-Video, and Component, and the quality is excellent. It also works as a TV tuner.

It works great on my 800x600 27" Gateway Destination computer monitor that has no other inputs other than VGA (Those cheeky bastards)

That Xploder cord is junk. You need the expensive $40 dollar software to make it work, and it doesnt work with all the games.

chadi

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
Canada eh?
Yeah. The video quality is pretty good too. :D

I never expected this to work but hey! Good luck huh?

Last time I tried doing something like this I used my ATI AIW composite hookup to play my PS2 (i actually had 2 of them the week they came out...the day they came out I got the one and the other came after...long story). Anyway it worked but it 'shook'. The screen was shaking enough to give me a headache so that ended that and I got a tv (which was smaller then my 22" monitor at the time *sigh*.)

Glad it's working for you, doesn't sound like you are experiencing 'shaking' either.

ps. nice avatar but Urd > Skuld ...unless your a lolicon maybe hahahaha.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.