Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I just got the 8 plus yesterday and after reading the camera and battery issues with 11.4, should I hold off on updating?

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
My personal opinion on that question is the following:

Always keep your device updated - To make sure you have the latest security updates, features and improvements.

I would suggest to hold off from updating your device only if the update contains a critical bug, which is something that happens rarely and even in that case Apple pulls it in few minutes.

Reactions: Fdisaac00

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I was reading that the camera goes black sometimes and also there may be battery drain issues.

Has me a little gun shy to update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was reading that the camera goes black sometimes and also there may be battery drain issues.

Has me a little gun shy to update.
Different people experience different things pretty much with any update essentially. Hard to say what you will or won't see or experience.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
No issue here at all.

Feels the same as 11.2.x
Ditto. Remember that forums are lacking in "hey everything's great!" posts, and heavy on "This new update stinks, what was Apple thinking?", so that automatically skews your perception of reality.

There are ALWAYS complaints of battery issues with each release, and while real battery issues do occur it is rarely iOS itself, but rather a corrupt backup, an update that went sideways, or an app that is not performing well with the new release, or short-term battery consumption during internal indexing with a new release, or ...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My X is on 11.4 and I don’t have camera or battery issues..

Some people have connected 11.4 battery issues to Messages in the cloud. Perhaps leave that switched off if you are concerned. I don't use messages in the cloud so I can't confirm whether it causes issues; just going by what I've seen in a few threads here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.