Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downhillpony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
i'm 51 yrs old -with no computer recording experience.so help from you young PC/imac whiz kids would surely be appreciated by this od dinosaur from the 8-track generation !! half of the album i'm working on is on aDAW (yahama aw4416). i see gb3 only has 8 tracks and no sub/vtracks and editng seems limited vs the aw4416. is gb3 just abasic starter kit or isthere compatible software for gb3 that would it as powerfull as a stand alone DAW?my goal is tq get my music out there thru the web which imac and gb3 looks great for . so what software will give me gb3 web interaction capability and superior multitrac recording and editing i don't need loops + samples -my stuff is original ,i play everything the old fashion way with real guitars +drums+keyboards. although not very well !!! thats why i need powerfull editing !!! c'mon guys help out an old "strum n' hum" dinosaur !!!

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Garageband can do quite a bit. I would recommend finding one of the garageband demo songs. That will show you what it can do.

Look in Hard Drive>Library>Application Support>Garageband>Garageband demo songs>

and see if any demos are installed.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
why are you looking to replace the aw4416 with GB? are you under the impression that you need GB in order to publish mp3's to the web? you don't.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Nobody mentioned garageband replacing anything. He wanted to know what software could get him into working with computer audio. Garageband is usually included with macs, and can do quite a bit.

There's always Logic:

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/

Or Logic Express, a cheaper 'express' version.

And most people use a firewire interface to connect equipment digitally to their computer. M-audio, Motu, Alesis, ... there are many companies with good stuff.

downhillpony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
scottlinux said:
Garageband can do quite a bit. I would recommend finding one of the garageband demo songs. That will show you what it can do.

Look in Hard Drive>Library>Application Support>Garageband>Garageband demo songs>

and see if any demos are installed.
thanx fqr the info ill try it.by the way being the dinosaur that i am it has taken 5 minutes just to type this -this imac has a built-in mic can it be used for some kind of live chatroom forum to talk to you guys without having to type?

downhillpony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
zimv20 said:
why are you looking to replace the aw4416 with GB? are you under the impression that you need GB in order to publish mp3's to the web? you don't.
just exploring the options....but it would be nice to know if these new softwares...ie;gb3 logic protools----are actually an upgrade or is the old aw4416 just as good. if thats the case id just be wasting " money for nothin'

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
downhillpony said:
it would be nice to know if these new softwares...ie;gb3 logic protools----are actually an upgrade or is the old aw4416 just as good.
modern DAWs will be a lot more feature-rich, certainly, and you'll have access to numerous plug-in processors and software synthesizers.

but -- your yahama kit also has hardware, like mic pre's and converters. i don't know if you're thinking along the lines of using the yamaha as a front-end to get things into GB. if so, then it's fair to ask (as you are), "what can i do w/ this new software that i can't with the yamaha?"

but if you're looking at scrapping the yamaha entirely, then you'll have to spend a good deal of money to get new mic pre's and converters. if you go cheap, i think you'll end up worse off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.