Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trusted_content

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Re: Poor substitute

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Here's an idea! A tablet that you hold with both hands in front of you. The keyboard is on the underside, split into the left and right sides. The left thumb works a space bar and the right works a little joystick. It would take a little training for all the hunt and peckers out there, but they should be touch-typing anyways these days... - j

Thats funny, I had exactly the same idea a few days ago. I sketched it out in a way where the back keyboards could be rotated around to the front and it could become a regular laptop. With the keys on the back it would be called "Accordion Mode" :p

heck id use an iCordion... heres another tight feature... imagine a tablet Mac with a digital camera perfectly centered in the back so you just hold up the tablet to whatever you want to capture and see the picture being framed on the LCD... hmmmmmm.... :D

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Now that would be a truely original product, and if priced right with decent performance and features, i think could be a good product.

It would be really cool if the digital camera was of good quality. It would be the epitomy of the Digital Hub. Put a low power iPod emulation mode or something and use it as an MP3 player, without running down the battery as much, with either a second iPod lcd somewhere or only using part of the lcd (be cool, but dont know how it would work) and have digicam mode, where it doesnt run Mac OS, but works like a normal digital camera, with built in air port and auto syncs with iSync to your home mac.

Hey, just thought of another idea. Make it have a firewire (or gigawire, or something) docking port for faster than airport transfers when at a desktop and use it as a second monitor. if it was between $500 and $1000 id be waiting in front of the apple store on launch day to get one.

ninjachild

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
Re: Re: Poor substitute

Originally posted by trusted_content

... heres another tight feature... imagine a tablet Mac with a digital camera perfectly centered in the back so you just hold up the tablet to whatever you want to capture and see the picture being framed on the LCD... hmmmmmm.... :D

7-eleven actually did this with the tablet pcs
helped speed up inventory time, and saved them like 7 million last year,

its not right in the back of the tablet, but a card that is stuck in the pcmcia slot,
and syncs back with their home drive automatically filing the report,

besides i would worry about the lens if you ever had to set it down.

i think that businesses like these are going to be those interested in tablets,

but just think of a current ibook that can rotate the screen and lay it down, with the ability to write on it.

i think there might be a market for that especially in education with the wireless carts.

walk into class grab a tablet and have all of your notes, and materials downloaded and indexed so you can spend more time listening.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Poor substitute

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Most people can type far faster than they can write. Writing is too slow. Voice recognition makes more sense.

True, but on topic, this tablet PC from M$ won't replae anything. Voice recognition is cool, I have 2 Seimens phones that have GigVoice recognition, just speak the name and it dials the number. That would be more of a breakthrough then M$ handwriting recognition modeled after ink

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
i dont know about u guys but i went to compusa yesterday to check out the tablet pc and besides trying to get used to the toshiba's pen and stuff it was pretty cool. i loved being able to write. and i my opinion if recognized about 98 percent of my writing, and i have horrible hand writing (read: doctors). it was pretty cool. i put it onto its side, and I wrote in attractive red letters at an angle
"this would actually be cool if it was made by apple." i also put an arrow in the direction of the apple aisle.
i liked the little feature on the toshiba on, in the tablets like notepad feature, that it comes with little lines like standard notebook feature. still would be hard to get used to since i hate having to hand write.
but overall still pretty cool although it would take a while for me to actually use it, instead of just writing little funny messages and faces. i give it an 8/10, they need to make it lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.