Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
So I just got a notification of a free year of AppleTv+ even though the last thing I bought was an iPhone X almost two years ago. The only thing I can think of is I recently had my phone replaced through AppleCare warranty service. If that was the trigger then I guess they are just sending the offer to any newly activated device id rather than matching actual purchase history? Now that I think about it I suppose that would make sense. If I were to buy six phones and hand then out to friends/family it would make more sense to offer the year to them and would be easier to implement.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
I also got a year for free even though I made no recent purchase that would qualify. The only purchase since the announcement of this offer has been some Bose headphones from the Apple Store. Literally nothing else in the last few months. So I too am wondering what’s going on.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I had a device replacement recently, and I am eligible for a free year. I think this is available for any device registration post September 10, be it purchased or replaced.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I also got a year for free even though I made no recent purchase that would qualify. The only purchase since the announcement of this offer has been some Bose headphones from the Apple Store. Literally nothing else in the last few months. So I too am wondering what’s going on.
How were you notified, I assume email?

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Is this a pop up? I launched Apple TV+ on my iPhone XR which I remember getting early this year and nothing. I chose a show and it offered to play the first episode for free. ?
Most devices bought and registered (you register it by simply logging into your Apple ID on it) before September won't get the popup. I imagine replacement devices look new to Apple and therefore are counting towards the promo.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have an issue. My wife and I both bough an iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max respectively a few weeks ago. She signed up for the year free trial but when I tried to sign up, it said I don’t have an eligible device. It finally came up for use on my phone but it’s not in my subscriptions list. It’s only on my wife’s list. Maybe because we have family sharing enabled. I’d still like to see it in my list so I can keep track.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have an issue. My wife and I both bough an iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max respectively a few weeks ago. She signed up for the year free trial but when I tried to sign up, it said I don’t have an eligible device. It finally came up for use on my phone but it’s not in my subscriptions list. It’s only on my wife’s list. Maybe because we have family sharing enabled. I’d still like to see it in my list so I can keep track.
Your issue is due to family sharing.

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.