Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrlunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
Finally upgraded my TV to a new HDTV and went the extra mile and purchased Apple TV. I love it. The only problem I've encountered is one of my favorite podcasts wont play on Apple TV but it plays on my MBP without issue. The podcast is in the ACC (.m4b) file format and not .mp3 could this be a bug or could it be a encoding issue with the publisher?

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Out of curiosity, what's the podcast? You could try renaming the file extension to see if that works.

mrlunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
Congratulations.
Do you have Perian installed on your MBP?
Thank you. I'm in love with my Apple TV. It's opened my eyes to the potential of IPTV.

Not familiar with Perian. I'll check it out. Not sure if it will solve my problem but I will poke around.

Looks like they offer MP3 versions - could you just use those?
Yes, and thats how I'm listing to it now. However, with the MP3 version it's broken down by article per magazine and the M4B is the complete article all in one file. I just prefer to have it all in one file.

I'm assuming it's something in how they choose to encoding the M4B. I've tried another podcast that provided a M4B file and it works on Apple TV.

mrlunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
This link offers both by chapter, or by magazine in MP3 format. http://www.jw.org/index.xjp?option=QBJrYBNQF
Yes, I see that they offer both. However, I would have to manually download the file and add it to iTunes, I know I'm just being lazy. Just want it to load like a normal podcast... but becuase thier ACC file format wont work on Apple TV this appears to be my only option at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.