Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
I just got my new powerbook and was loving life untill i put in a DVD. Everything played fine, but the drive keeps making a very annoying "birping" sound. Every 5-10sec is makes a brrrrp noise. It doesnt do this on cd's though. Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or do I have to head over the apple store tomorrow to get a replacement?

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Bern said:
Perhaps it's the actual DVD?

No I wish though, i tried 3 different dvds and got the same result on all of them. I also just noticed that i get a vibrating noise from the drive while installing software. I am really upset, i just paid $2000 for this thing and i already have to drive an hour to exchange it.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Exchange it, and bring the same DVDs with you.

Also, maybe consider opening it at the store and try it out then & there.

Sorry, this happened to you, but after you get this taken care of, I'm sure you'll love your new PB!

Cheers!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
eleveneastgate said:
Exchange it, and bring the same DVDs with you.

Also, maybe consider opening it at the store and try it out then & there.

Sorry, this happened to you, but after you get this taken care of, I'm sure you'll love your new PB!

Cheers!

those darn apple products.

srsly tho, the last 2 iMac g5s i got failed within the first week.

what gives?

re-name to Appell or Dappell

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
gammamonk said:
Bummer. My powerbook doesn't read burned DVD's. Is is a real DVD or a burn?

It was a real dvd. Im at the apple store waiting for a genius to look at it. I'll post an update later on tonight.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
gammamonk said:
Bummer. My powerbook doesn't read burned DVD's. Is is a real DVD or a burn?
That's strange. My iBook does. I burn them on my Windows PC and use the DVD to move huge files to my Mac. But...I'm using DVD-RW discs. Wonder if that matters.

gunnz

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Irvine, CA
dmetzcher said:
That's strange. My iBook does. I burn them on my Windows PC and use the DVD to move huge files to my Mac. But...I'm using DVD-RW discs. Wonder if that matters.

All Apple drives make the funny noise when you pop in a DVD. It's just the way that it cycles to read DVD format. If Powerbooks and iBooks burn DVDs, why wouldn't they be capable of reading burned DVDs???? Even with Combo drive, I am 100% sure that they will read them. If you have problems, just don't use DVD Player. However, I still use DVD player, even though it says that the format isn't supported. All you do is close the warning, and press play on the controller. Works every time. Of you can just download VLC media player.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
My DVD slot in my Powerbook makes noises with every advancement in the Chapters, doesn't bother me much.

Especially since i barely use powerbook for DVD watching :p

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I am always worried when i insert a cd or dvd in my ibook, it always makes this weird noise but i since i know i got used to it. I had an old sony laptop that did not have this problem, well its not really a problem just a noise but my old sony laptop had no noise, that could be because it was a tray loading drive.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
well heres the update,
After a little bit of a ordeal, i got an exchange after about 2hours of dealing with a "genius". This superdrive does make the same noise, only it is quieter and doesn't sounds as unhealthy as the last one. Overall all i would say the customer service was above average, but thats only because customers in this country are generally always wrong.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Birping noises are normal. That sound is the DVD drive trying to access the disc. Does this occur when you're watching DVD movies? If you're installing software from it, then I think it's normal.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.