Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Consider the iMac. Now, look at the base of the iMac pedestal/stand.. it's flat - well, mostly. Why not build a wireless charger into that stand so we can charge our iOS devices while we're using the iMac? I realize this will increase the price of iMacs, but Apple are going to come up with silly ideas to increase the price anyway, it may as well be a useful idea. There are probably reasons this isn't already done, but I wanted to share this idea.

QI_idea.jpeg

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Probably not wise. I'm a little concerned about the magnetic fields of a wireless charger right beneath a display and motherboard. It would probably severely reduce the lifespan of the components, and could potentially cause damage to the display.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Probably not wise. I'm a little concerned about the magnetic fields of a wireless charger right beneath a display and motherboard. It would probably severely reduce the lifespan of the components, and could potentially cause damage to the display.
I'm guessing the newer iPhones have some protection against that - seeing as how the charger is less than an inch from the iPhone's internal components while the iPhone is charging.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I'm guessing the newer iPhones have some protection against that - seeing as how the charger is less than an inch from the iPhone's internal components while the iPhone is charging.
It's not something that happens all at once. Wireless charging has always had a factor of degradation of electronic components. This has been an engineering challenge for getting faster charge rates from wireless components without causing damage. Over time though, this will add up, and sticking that permanently beneath a monitor and logic board? I'd be very wary. After all, your phone is not resting on a wireless charger 24/7, and a powered on iMac with a charger in the base station might.

I had a similar idea for a CD drive in the base station back in the early 2010s, but I guess because the stand is removable and has no physical connection to the logic board (so that people can slap their VESA stands on) it would not have worked.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It's not something that happens all at once. Wireless charging has always had a factor of degradation of electronic components. This has been an engineering challenge for getting faster charge rates from wireless components without causing damage. Over time though, this will add up, and sticking that permanently beneath a monitor and logic board? I'd be very wary. After all, your phone is not resting on a wireless charger 24/7, and a powered on iMac with a charger in the base station might.

I had a similar idea for a CD drive in the base station back in the early 2010s, but I guess because the stand is removable and has no physical connection to the logic board (so that people can slap their VESA stands on) it would not have worked.
It just seems that the base is just sitting there doing nothing.. we should be able to make it more useful. I really liked your idea of a SuperDrive in the iMac base, but you make a great point about the physical connection to the motherboard.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Consider the iMac. Now, look at the base of the iMac pedestal/stand.. it's flat - well, mostly. Why not build a wireless charger into that stand so we can charge our iOS devices while we're using the iMac? I realize this will increase the price of iMacs, but Apple are going to come up with silly ideas to increase the price anyway, it may as well be a useful idea. There are probably reasons this isn't already done, but I wanted to share this idea.

View attachment 808151
Apple is planning on leapfrogging that concept sometime in the next 5 years or so:

6a0120a5580826970c019aff7d1474970d-pi

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.