Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
I am not that much of a tech savy, but in terms of specs and real world comparison, how far behind is Apple? Because I always read Android users mock Apple to be behind Samsung, Google, etc. plus overpriced.

Many thanks.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I am not that much of a tech savy, but in terms of specs and real world comparison, how far behind is Apple? Because I always read Android users mock Apple to be behind Samsung, Google, etc. plus overpriced.

Many thanks.
Regarding processor speed, Apple is usually a couple of years ahead. The same for performance per watt. It really depends what you are trying to measure.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
Depends on how you look at it. If you want the latest such as foldable phones, 100 megapixel zoom camera,...etc, then apple is not for you. If you want something that works, then you are at the right place.

In terms of years, I stopped counting. If it works, then manufacturers will keep on using and developing the tech (e.g., wide angle cameras in addition to the primary camera). If it doesn't, then it will come out 1 year and disappear on the next (e.g., LG G5 modular phone).

BadBuoy

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
Apple is never late, nor is Apple early, Apple arrives precisely when it means to.
Exactly.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JPack

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
The competition's specs are like throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Folding phones are e-waste waiting to happen. I have never seen phones dumped on to the second hand market so fast or so many break so quickly than these foldy things.

They were launched premature before the technology was feasible.

Phones that extend with a scrolling mechanism will replace this folding garbage.

Also, putting a 100 megapixel sensor on a smart phone sounds great on paper but as any photographer will tell you, numbers mean nothing. You want noise free high quality images. A 12 megapixel camera can often produce a better image than a 100 megapixel camera of the same sensor size.

So the competition offers nothing. The cameras are mostly sub-par, the software is often clunky, the processors are much slower than Apple's silicon.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Should be like how far is the completion behind when it comes to service, longevity and resale

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
For an old guy like me I don't care who is ahead or who is behind all I want is something I am used to, comfortable and fully integrated into my electronic needs. The iphone does that for me, sure any electronic device can have issues but how fast they can be resolved and get back to doing what I want to do with the device is the most important thing.

Will I ever really change out after seeing the wild east I take a pass as the foldable flops and gee whiz megapixel count I stay where I am at as it fits my needs

Reactions: Sorinut

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
The competition's specs are like throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Folding phones are e-waste waiting to happen. I have never seen phones dumped on to the second hand market so fast or so many break so quickly than these foldy things.

They were launched premature before the technology was feasible.

Phones that extend with a scrolling mechanism will replace this folding garbage.

Also, putting a 100 megapixel sensor on a smart phone sounds great on paper but as any photographer will tell you, numbers mean nothing. You want noise free high quality images. A 12 megapixel camera can often produce a better image than a 100 megapixel camera of the same sensor size.

So the competition offers nothing. The cameras are mostly sub-par, the software is often clunky, the processors are much slower than Apple's silicon.

This. It took at least three models to get to a decent folding phone, phones that were costing 1500 dollars at best. Beside this I never care about the specs, I just like to be in Apple's ecosystem.

Reactions: NEPOBABY

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
Depends on how you look at it. If you want the latest such as foldable phones, 100 megapixel zoom camera,...etc, then apple is not for you. If you want something that works, then you are at the right place.
Very much this. I've had Samsung/Android 'phones; for all the bells and whistles, none of them have been a patch on my iPhone. And none of them have integrated well with any computer, Mac or PC. Gimmicks and higher specs may look good on paper, but if the product doesn't actually work that well, then no amount of fancy features can make up for it. I want something that works, and works well.

Reactions: RRC

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Depends on the category:

• Processor - well ahead
  • Camera - slightly behind
  • Cellular/wireless - behind
  • Connectivity - on par
  • Software/security - on par or slightly ahead
  • Gaming - behind
  • Ecosystem - well ahead
How much worse is cellular actually? I’m kind of tired seeing no bars or low bars on my iphone 11 pro and I’m hoping the 15 will be much better.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023

Many thanks.

Hardware like camera sensor, screen refresh rate used to be behind like few years but cpu is ahead of few years, but Android flagships have nothing to improve anymore for few years so all are similar now.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Would be nice to see a a brand new design, we've had the same/similar design since 12 Pro. I'd jump at a flip iPhone!

iGeeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
They are Behind.

It's been the same design with slight adjustments for the last like 3 years going on 4.

Behind on Customization
Battery Tech
ACTUAL real life ecosystem
Innovation

The list goes on.

My Galaxy S23Ultra can sync & connect with any device that I point it at. Sometimes with no Internet required. I don't need any dongles, special cables, subscriptions or $200 TV boxes to do anything. If not, there is a work around that will always work on my phone because it's Android.

My S23U is fully customized. My keyboard, animations, ringtones, calls everything has been reworked. It's glorious.

My Eco system is real world. Not some iMessage BS. My phone syncs with my fridge, washer & dryer, even the god damned dishwasher ( all Samsung ) all of it is linked with the Samsung Device Control ( Smart Things ) drop down menu that comes on the phone from factory. I control everything from my phone from any part of the world. Real life ecosystem. I get alerts when my milk is going bad. Yeah. You can keep iMessage.

Innovation belongs to Android. My S23U is at least 3 to to 5 years ahead of the iPhone. Screen is nicer, colors pop more. Cameras? Forget about it. I'm ALWAYS the designated camera man at events.

The iPhone has been behind the competition since the Nexus 6 line up. Which was 2012. Since then they lost.

Fun fact, whenever we travel. My girlfriend always asks me to take my Samsung with us ( I rock both phones, iPhone is for work though ) in her words " can you bring your Samsung phone? I want to keep watching my show when we get to the Airbnb & my stupid iPhone never works with anything "

Android phones can do everything. Work with everything & give you way more value for the dollar.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
This flew under the radar but the video is the best of all smartphones - again! With video they are a few years ahead.

Reactions: StudioMacs

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
You can cherry pic parts or specs from other phones and there will inevitably be items that are newer or “better.” However the sum of all the parts and the experience of using an iPhone is clearly ahead of other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.