Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
i know the display can get incredibly bright,brighter than anything u can purchase to that date actually ,so i have no doubt hdr movies do look good

however im wondering how it plays from a pure contrast perspective,that is,how visible are elements in dark areas,shadows,which is where true blacks and dark details really become important

how does it compare to your oled phone or tv?

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
I have 2 older LCD monitors the backlight is pretty bad but heres a comparison of the blacks in a dark room. Iā€™m not sure if the ā€œbloomā€ got any better on iPadOS this picture is from release day.
5CFC0CE1-9884-44D2-91D6-861C8A199FE4.jpeg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I have 2 older LCD monitors the backlight is pretty bad but heres a comparison of the blacks in a dark room. Iā€™m not sure if the ā€œbloomā€ got any better on iPadOS this picture is from release day. View attachment 1856398
dont you tell me the display on the middle is supposed to be black hahah

just how dark was your room besides the keyboard and monitors ?

have you returned the ipad because of the bloom ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
dont you tell me the display on the middle is supposed to be black hahah

just how dark was your room besides the keyboard and monitors ?

have you returned the ipad because of the bloom ?
Wasnā€™t completely dark I think I had some blue lights on Iā€™ll take an updated picture for ya this afternoon i did return that iPad then recently bought it again lol

i actually like it a lot now.

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Wasnā€™t completely dark I think I had some blue lights on Iā€™ll take an updated picture for ya this afternoon i did return that iPad then recently bought it again lol

i actually like it a lot now.
very nice of you sir .

haha i know that feeling

mind u i was actually asking about visibility of elements (and faces) in dark areas ,especially in movies which is where i need contrast lol

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
very nice of you sir .

haha i know that feeling

mind u i was actually asking about visibility of elements (and faces) in dark areas ,especially in movies which is where i need contrast lol
Oh yes itā€™s definitely evident, the contrast is thereā€¦ the screen is beautiful I deal with the added weight just for the screenā€¦

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
The blacks are super black. Itā€™s a fantastic screen, especially for content. But really, everything is highly enjoyable to use on this screen.
thanks.oh well in decent lightning conditions i believe its super good indeed.besides while being good for content,i wouldnt buy it for this sole purpose still,as the ratio is just too cropped in ,being 4:3 squared

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I just bought it and while the HDR experience is sublime, it has a couple of flaws. In normal lighting, the screen is flawless and even surpasses my high end LG CX OLED TV in bright HDR scenes

The problem is if you are in a dimly lit room, and there is a dark scene with bright elements, you will see haloing around them especially if you like have subtitles in movies. Itā€™s worse if you are in bed at night time reading a novel in dark mode or watching a movie with subtitles against a dark background and the display in this scenario manages to look worse than even my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 because some areas are pitch black while others have lit up halos while the entire screen on the 2018 is lit up. .

Overall, itā€™s a fantastic display but it falls off a cliff if you go in dim lighting so I still prefer my OLED TV for content consumption as I feel movies and games are best enjoyed in a dark environment to bring out the contrast more and OLED simply destroys MiniLED in this area as blacks remain perfectly black. But turn on the lights in a room and the MiniLED races ahead due to the sheer brightness of it.

In my opinion OLED is a more consistently better HDR than MiniLED taking a variety of lighting into account as the lower brightness simply lowers the quality of the hdr experience while the haloing outright ruins image quality in the dark.

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I just bought it and while the HDR experience is sublime, it has a couple of flaws. In normal lighting, the screen is flawless and even surpasses my high end LG CX OLED TV in bright HDR scenes

The problem is if you are in a dimly lit room, and there is a dark scene with bright elements, you will see haloing around them especially if you like have subtitles in movies. Itā€™s worse if you are in bed at night time reading a novel in dark mode or watching a movie with subtitles against a dark background and the display in this scenario manages to look worse than even my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 because some areas are pitch black while others have lit up halos while the entire screen on the 2018 is lit up. .

Overall, itā€™s a fantastic display but it falls off a cliff if you go in dim lighting so I still prefer my OLED TV for content consumption as I feel movies and games are best enjoyed in a dark environment to bring out the contrast more and OLED simply destroys MiniLED in this area as blacks remain perfectly black. But turn on the lights in a room and the MiniLED races ahead due to the sheer brightness of it.

In my opinion OLED is a more consistently better HDR than MiniLED taking a variety of lighting into account as the lower brightness simply lowers the quality of the hdr experience while the haloing outright ruins image quality in the dark.
thanks for answering man!

i usually watch in a well lit room (better for one's eyes tbh) but i see myself watching movies in dimmer environments more and more.what exactly is dim to you?
take a room in daylight with lights off,only the sun ,is this dim enough to get the halooing ?

next,take the same room in the afternoon ,with a cloudy weather ,is this dim or still not near as close as a dark enough environnement to u?

ye ik those questions are a bit dumb but id be intersted to know about your lightning conditions in general :)

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I don't think it falls off a cliff at all in dim lighting. It is true that white credits against a black background will have a little blooming. It is brief, it is not that big of a deal. For all other content it just gets better in dim lighting. Yes, in a bright setting you cannot see any blooming and in a totally dark setting there is some, though it is limited and I have never found it annoying.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
thanks for answering man!

i usually watch in a well lit room (better for one's eyes tbh) but i see myself watching movies in dimmer environments more and more.what exactly is dim to you?
take a room in daylight with lights off,only the sun ,is this dim enough to get the halooing ?

next,take the same room in the afternoon ,with a cloudy weather ,is this dim or still not near as close as a dark enough environnement to u?

ye ik those questions are a bit dumb but id be intersted to know about your lightning conditions in general :)
Nope. Both scenarios above wonā€™t show haloing unless you go looking for it.

When I saw dimly lit environment, I mean either with the curtains drawn in afternoon/noon with a night lamp turned on in the room and pitch darkness when I am in bed at night.

In the 2 scenarios I listed, the haloing gets bad and irritates me. The curtains scenarios isnā€™t that bad but pitch darkness is when the display struggles.

again it really depends on the type of movie. If you are watching movies which are set in a bright environment, even pitch darkness is perfect.

But if itā€™s a dark movie then the halos become severe. For instance, watching Tenet or Tehran on Apple TV app in darkness is not a problem at all.

But try watching the original Bladerunner or Bladerunner 2049 on this screen in darkness and I personally consider it unwatchable as the movies are set in a dark city with lots of neon lights everywhere and add subtitles to it and it looks horrible. I ended up watching it on my TV.

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021

When I saw dimly lit environment, I mean either with the curtains drawn in afternoon/noon with a night lamp turned on in the room and pitch darkness when I am in bed at night.

In the 2 scenarios I listed, the haloing gets bad and irritates me. The curtains scenarios isnā€™t that bad but pitch darkness is when the display struggles.

again it really depends on the type of movie. If you are watching movies which are set in a bright environment, even pitch darkness is perfect.

But if itā€™s a dark movie then the halos become severe. For instance, watching Tenet or Tehran on Apple TV app in darkness is not a problem at all.

But try watching the original Bladerunner or Bladerunner 2049 on this screen in darkness and I personally consider it unwatchable as the movies are set in a dark city with lots of neon lights everywhere and add subtitles to it and it looks horrible. I ended up watching it on my TV.

thank you !

well yes im most intersted for dark and hdr movies lol ,but ig given the room in watch them in,i shouldnt have a problem rly

the only annoying factor might be the fact that i have a high myopia (hence thick glasses...) couple with a lil bit of astigmatism ,and that might pose problems with haloos.worst case i suppose i could wear lenses when watching a movie hahaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.