Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Okay I need some help from those out there who are expirenced or somewhat expierenced in web design.

I just bought the web design studio from macromedia...you know the latest versions of Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand and Fireworks.

Okay im trying to buld my web page...my digital portfolio. Im a learning graphic artist and mose of my expierence comes from print. So im just starting out in web design.

I started doing my page in flash and learned the somewhat of the basics with that..All i need to do is add my images, maybe some videos, add action script and publish my page. Im told I should start in Dreamweaver for what im doing. Im having trouble learning both to be honest with you. I just want to get my site made the way I want it visually and put up on the web but im not sure how to go about it. What program should I start with..should I use both...Is there anything on the web that really helps someone out on starting how to buld visually pleasing web sites or from what angel should I hit my problem? Im confused..please help.

Thanks.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
if you are looking to build a site visually then play around with dreamweaver some more. it may seem confusing at first but it really is the best out there. if learning the program is hindering your work then consider getting a dreamweaver book from amazon (hands on dreamweaver is a good book)

i personally can't stand flash but i do know its more complicated than dreamweaver. my advice: go through the manuals, find a book with examples and then actually make those examples--it's the best way to learn

oh and my #1 tip: don't bite off more than you can chew--you can only do so much at time, especially when you don't fully understand the program yet.

good luck and have fun

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I suggest that you simplify the Dreamweaver interface! At the moment you probably have a window that shows you what will appear on the web site (design window I believe) + another for the actual HTML code? In the menu bar you can hide the code window. This will force you to use a "point and click" techniques to create your web page using the toolbox. Once you have done that, then start to play around with other more complicated functions. The toolbox will allow you create most of the web sites you see about.

sr

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2001
UK
Flash is for making animated flash movies. Dreamweaver is for page and site design and managment. The two are complementary. You can use your flash movies in the pages you create in Dreamweaver. ( You can of course make a whole site in Flash - but that requires a lot of knowledge and in anycase, you need to know how to build html pages).

If Dreamweaver seems difficult try Freeway 3.1 from http://www.softpress.com It is very easy and if you have experience of desktop publishing, its a doddle. It recently won a Macuser award, and a carbon version is coming out soon. Its graphics package, unlike Dreamweaver's, is integrated into the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.