Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
After trying, and failing to slipstream my XP SP1 disc, (kept saying ntuser.sys or something was corrupt) I figured I'de try to install SP1, and then upgrade it to SP2 before I tried to install the drivers. SP1 installed fine, and booted, I tried to upgrade it to SP2 and it said there is not enought free hard drive space. "it needs 4 megabytes, and an additional 4 megabytes for un-install information. Yes I said Megabytes, which I found to be a little strange. Anyway my Windows partition has over 5GB free this should be more then enough. I realize that Apple says you must use SP2, but im so close. Any idea why SP2 refuses to upgrade?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
todd2000 said:
After trying, and failing to slipstream my XP SP1 disc, (kept saying ntuser.sys or something was corrupt) I figured I'de try to install SP1, and then upgrade it to SP2 before I tried to install the drivers. SP1 installed fine, and booted, I tried to upgrade it to SP2 and it said there is not enought free hard drive space. "it needs 4 megabytes, and an additional 4 megabytes for un-install information. Yes I said Megabytes, which I found to be a little strange. Anyway my Windows partition has over 5GB free this should be more then enough. I realize that Apple says you must use SP2, but im so close. Any idea why SP2 refuses to upgrade?

Way back when boot camp came out, I did the same thing.

I'm guessing you tried a OEM because slipstreaming works fine otherwise. There is some software that lets you pull out the OEM stuff even, so you could slipstream though.

You can't go any further with SP1. It will never let you upgrade to SP2, if you installed Sp1 first. I tried every scenario back in February or whenever it was. You can use SP1 as it is, or install SP2 directly.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
powerbook911 said:
Way back when boot camp came out, I did the same thing.

I'm guessing you tried a OEM because slipstreaming works fine otherwise. There is some software that lets you pull out the OEM stuff even, so you could slipstream though.

You can't go any further with SP1. It will never let you upgrade to SP2, if you installed Sp1 first. I tried every scenario back in February or whenever it was. You can use SP1 as it is, or install SP2 directly.

My XP disc is SP1, which you can't officially slipstream, I found a site that told me how to do it, I deleted some files, and managed to slipstream the disk, make an ISO, and burn it. I started the install process, it got to a certain point and said "NTSF.SYS is corrupt", and the install died. So I don't know what happened. I used the instructions on this page http://vbdotnet.home.comcast.net/XP_SP2.htm, and deleted the files it said to, replaced the DEPLOY.CAB file like it said, however I used nlite to do the actually slipstreaming, and make the ISO insted of doing it manually. So I don't know what happened

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.