Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Hi,
I am planning to buy an iPhone at an Apple store. I just moved to NYC and arranged all my banking stuff - I am only waiting for my debit card but can actually already make online payments at the moment.

Can someone please tell me if I will pass the credit approval by AT&T when activating through iTunes? I searched on Google but could not find the information I acutally need. Will my credit be approved, even though I just only have couple of days bank history in the US (but enough funds)?

If not, I guess I can go to an AT&T store when I did receive my debit card and let them do a credit check, which will then probably also fail. If I am right, I can then pay a deposit and get an activation number?

Just wondering what the best way will be to activate it - if you guys think I will be aproved through the iTunes activation process, I will visit the Apple store at 5th ave this evening ;)

Thanks!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you moved from the US, your credit history moved too.

Drop into an ATT store and have them do a credit check before you hit the Apple store.

boffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
If you moved from the US, your credit history moved too.

Drop into an ATT store and have them do a credit check before you hit the Apple store.

I do not think so (yet) - also still have a bank account in my previous country. I know it is very hard to get a credit card in the US for new comers, so I just keep my credit card of that bank. But can you tell me what AT&T actually checks?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I think if you do not pass the credit check for some reason you can get a pre-paid account. But I agree with the other poster that you can just go into an AT&T store and they will do a credit check. I got my phone from an AT&T store and then did a credit check before they sold me the phone.

I believe they will ask you for your SSN to do the credit check.

Dieselat

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
I do not think so (yet) - also still have a bank account in my previous country. I know it is very hard to get a credit card in the US for new comers, so I just keep my credit card of that bank. But can you tell me what AT&T actually checks?

If you don't have a credit , but are loaded with cash, then you can pay an extra ~$600 when getting a plan, it fills for your credit absence. They give the money back to you after 6 months. I am not sure about this but I think they give the money back to you in a form of store credit, so you can use the $600 to pay your bill for 4-6 months (depending on your plan), or you can use it to buy another iphone for you loved one, via Cingular store.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
If you don't have a credit , but are loaded with cash, then you can pay an extra ~$600 when getting a plan, it fills for your credit absence. They give the money back to you after 6 months. I am not sure about this but I think they give the money back to you in a form of store credit, so you can use the $600 to pay your bill for 4-6 months (depending on your plan), or you can use it to buy another iphone for you loved one, via Cingular store.

what you said is incorrect. if you don't meet their credit requirements you are required to put down a security deposit. can range from $100 up to $700 or so. if you pay your bill on time you get that money back, in the form of a check, 12 months after you open your account. it's not 6 months, it's 12, and it's not store credit, it's a check.

just moving to this country, do you have an SSN yet? if not, i'm not even sure how they can do the check at all. your only option would probably be pay the full deposit or do pre-pay.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
what you said is incorrect. if you don't meet their credit requirements you are required to put down a security deposit. can range from $100 up to $700 or so. if you pay your bill on time you get that money back, in the form of a check, 12 months after you open your account. it's not 6 months, it's 12, and it's not store credit, it's a check.

just moving to this country, do you have an SSN yet? if not, i'm not even sure how they can do the check at all. your only option would probably be pay the full deposit or do pre-pay.

Sí. First off, what country are you from? I'm almost 100% certain that your credit history WILL NOT follow you to the USA. My guess is you don't have a social security # yet (are you a resident or green-cardin' it up?) so you won't even be able to do a credit check. How did you get a US bank account?

We need more information to help you out here. My guess is that you will have to throw down a fairly hefty deposit or check out the pre-paid options for the iPhone.

boffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Yeah, I do have a SSN already, that's how I opened the bank account. I'll just go to an AT&T store and see what happends!
Thanks for all the answers here!

kataruz

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
my credit

ok, I went to an AT&T store and they told me my credit is $500

now my question is this... I just came to the states from Costa Rica.. Im american and I do have a SSN... now I used my debit card.... and I jsut started working here on Charlotte like 1 month ago... so I was wondering I also have a Credit card (extension from my dad's) which will have an EXCELLENT credit can I use that one or it is just based on your SSN?

thanks

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
ok, I went to an AT&T store and they told me my credit is $500

now my question is this... I just came to the states from Costa Rica.. Im american and I do have a SSN... now I used my debit card.... and I jsut started working here on Charlotte like 1 month ago... so I was wondering I also have a Credit card (extension from my dad's) which will have an EXCELLENT credit can I use that one or it is just based on your SSN?

thanks

It's based on SS#

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.