Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
How do you measure »quality«? As far as I am “affected” excellent apps like e.g. Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher, Pixelmator Photo, RawPower, Filebrowser, iFont/Fontcase, a-Shell, Carnets, CodeSandbox, FastChart, Draw Things et cetera et cetera only seem to improve. 🤓

Different story is the quality of search… 🤪🥸

Svetlin

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2021
Recently there has been a decline in quality of apps in general, not just the Apple App Store. Apps are not like how I remember them.
The one thing i can certainly say is that there are more Ads in the App Store, which is not optimal.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The latest update to a-Shell is amazing (they use the new iOS toolbar customization the way all those types of apps should be using it). That and when they added dash. You wouldn't have gotten that five+ years ago.

I agree that their search is the problem.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
I find I'm very selective these days before parting with cash for a so-called decent app. I usually try the free version for a few weeks before diving in and paying for the full, add free versions. You can usually get a pretty good idea if you getting quality after a few weeks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I was setting up the new versions of the Affinity Suite apps the other week and noticed you could put in a serial number from your Serif account. So I wonder if we're just going back to that, with using Apple Pay as an option, especially now that they might force third-party stores on Apple?

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
The only thing I find has gone down in quality is the search. When I search for something, too many apps are shown that are not even remotely related to my search field. I believe this can be attributed to App Store Ads. Apple just does not case about refined search ads, it will shove you any ad app just so it can take the money from it's developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.