Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are iphone screen protectors worth the money?

• Yes! I wouldn't go a day without one

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • no, they really don't do anything

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • no, they make it harder to use multi-touch

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I just ordered the iphone 3gs and I was wondering if I need a screen protector or if the iphone doesn't really scratch. I just don't want the screen to be scratched up like my blackjack got. So how have the old iphones held up with no screen protectors?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yes yes yes. The first-gen phone was pretty scratch resistant, but I seriously put a small one on the face while trying to get an itty bitty piece of dust off the back of my cover. It's out of the area where you'd really see it, but it's still there. I think Crystal is the brand of the really good ones, which are $15 for a pair. You can get anti-glare or clear (glossy).

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
I just ordered the iphone 3gs and I was wondering if I need a screen protector or if the iphone doesn't really scratch. I just don't want the screen to be scratched up like my blackjack got. So how have the old iphones held up with no screen protectors?

I've had both the iPhones and never had any problems with scratching and both were naked but were carried in holsters throughout the day. I ordered a different case though for the new iPhone and it comes with screen protectors so I may give them a shot but I'm hesitant to say that the screen will scratch even with heavy use - as I haven't run into any problems and I use the phone constantly for work.

kleinishere

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
screen protectors are definitely a good investment. they keep your phone looking good, they're interchangeable and will protect your resale value if you ever want to sell the phone. I had a pair of Power Supply's Crystal screen protectors on my 3g and they were very good. Thanks to the screen protector and a Bodyguardz back cover, I could throw the phone in my pocket with keys, coins, w/e and after a year there were *no* scratches whatsoever. I ended up paying something like $20 shipped for the screen protectors and I've used other ones that are cheaper for other phones that I could swap out more frequently so I'm going that route w/ the 3gs. Just ordered 3 for $3 shipped on eBay and plan on just swapping these cheaper ones out more frequently to keep the screen more vibrant w/ more frequency.

whichever ones you pick, definitely get a screen protector!

also, it should be noted any half-decent screen protectors will not decrease the screen's brightness or clearness to any appreciable extent and will not interfere with the touch screen capabilities of the iPhone.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
YES!!! Get a powersupport crystal film from the Apple Store.

They last A VERY long time.

And you know what? One scratch on your screen will RUIN the whole iPhone experience.

A scratch on the back you MAY be able to ignore. But on the screen--you will have to look at that every day.

The people who say they have no scratches are lucky.... I wouldn't take the chance.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've had my iPhone since February 2008, have never used a screen protector, and don't have a single scratch on the screen.

Paying for a screen protector is like paying for undercoating when you buy a car.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

get the invisishield by ZAGG

i just ordered mine shipped today :D

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Are screen protectors worth the money?

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to get screen protectors, or if they will just hinder my iphone experience.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I don't understand why people put them on the iphone.

I have an original iphone, for 2 years now, and the 3G for a year, and they have never had any screen protection.

The screens on the iphones are awesome. I can't imagine any screen protector that would not hinder their awesomeness. As someone who has used the phones without them for as long as one pretty much could, I would say they are unnecessary.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
i dident have a screen protect for my first month BIG MISTAKE, i ended up getting it scratched somehow, i dont know how but it got scratched, Always in my pocket (jeans) or in my hand never dropped it but big ass scratch on front. I brought it in to apple and they replaced it, this was the early days when u could get by with anything. now i use a matte covering, it reduces the glare and gives a nice feel.

garciarios

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
I have always used the crystal phone support they sell in the apple store. It keeps it looking perfect but reduces finger prints and protect screen.

I am debating if I should continue to use the crystal film or get the invisable shield. In my local mall they will install it for 20 bucks and whenever i want a new one because it gets damaged or worn etc I just give them $5 and they put a new one....

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
The screens on the iphones are awesome. I can't imagine any screen protector that would not hinder their awesomeness.

Even after all the reviews about the scratch-resistance, etc., I still found myself worrying about scratches. I threw one of the Power Support Crystal Films on there and quickly forgot it was even there. You honestly can't tell except for the tiny offset at the home button. Anyways, to each his own, but my iPhone has survived some pretty nasty falls, been jammed in pockets/backpacks with keys, etc. and the screen is perfect.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've got screen protectors stacking up on my desk as we speak. I'm probably at about (5) right now. Put InvisibleShield full-body and it's fine. Not worried about less feel on my touchscreen; but I am worried about my screen being scratched...

mvp2206

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Southampton, UK
I have always used screen protectors on my iPhone, iPod Touch etc just in case! Normally i just buy some cheap ones on ebay and have never had a problem with them! Never costs me more than £3-£4 and have done the job so far!

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I have an anti-glare one that came with my Air Jacket case. I needed it due to the wonderful florescent lighting at college

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I've had my iPhone since February 2008, have never used a screen protector, and don't have a single scratch on the screen.

Paying for a screen protector is like paying for undercoating when you buy a car.

I agree that a screen protector isn't really necessary for scratches unless you're brutal with your phone but I added one to mine when I used a friend's who had one and it completely changed the feeling of touching and swiping on the surface. Made swiping very slick and nice. A definite benefit and it adds a layer of protection.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Nope. Just report your post and ask for it to be deleted.

BTW, I haven't had a case or a screen protector since I got my 3G a week after launch, and the screen is flawless. The back has a few minor scratches that you have to look hard to see, but the screen is perfect.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I had a few screen protectors and I don't think it's worth it, they are hard to put one so you will screw one up and buy another one, you end up spending pretty much on them and they make the screen worse.

I recently took mine off and are rollling with a Griffin Wave case and it seems to be fine the screen on the iPhone don't seem to scratch that easily.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I think the Power Support Crystal Film is totally worth the money and does a fine job protecting the screen without impacting screen quality.

I did, though, just take mine off to see if I noticed a difference and I have been enjoying having it be "naked."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.