Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It's 300$ on the Microsoft store, I just couldn't stop myself. Anything specific I should know going into this little experiment of how well the phone runs? If all goes well, I might just switch carriers.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's 300$ on the Microsoft store, I just couldn't stop myself. Anything specific I should know going into this little experiment of how well the phone runs? If all goes well, I might just switch carriers.
Let us know your thoughts when you get it. I trialled the 950XL for a week but decided to give it back.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
After getting screwed over by Microsoft with my Lumia 925, I've given up on them for good. Remember when Microsoft Phone 7 owners got screwed when Windows Phone 8 OS got announced? Well, Microsoft did it again with 10. In 2014 they claimed all Lumia devices with at least 1gb of RAM would be upgraded to 10. Nope. They screwed Lumia, BLU and HTC owners over once again. My 925 will never see anything above 8.1.

If anything, I wouldn't count on any more updates from Microsoft for your 950, and you can be sure that what few developers there were for the platform will be leaving. Apps have been terrible on Windows phones since the beginning, but it is likely to be completely gone by 2018.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Let us know your thoughts when you get it. I trialled the 950XL for a week but decided to give it back.

Will do.

Steps toward preparing:
Move to Outlook
Back up photos with OneDrive
Curse Microsoft for their lack of Groove Family options

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You should check out Rudy Huyn's apps on the store.The official apps are crap and his unofficial ones are awesome.6tag blows the Instagram app out of the water for instance

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'll make sure to do that when the phone comes in tomorrow. Can't wait to see how this goes.

WrenFGun

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I'll make sure to do that when the phone comes in tomorrow. Can't wait to see how this goes.

I've owned a 950, and currently, I'm one of the few people to call Windows 10 Mobile as my daily driver. The 950 is going to come on a very early build [likely 10586] of W10, so I wouldn't even TRY to do anything until you upgrade it to at least the current build. If you really want the more advanced features (i.e., Skype integration with messaging everywhere) you'll want to enroll in the fast ring of insider previews -- keep in mind, though, that could come with bugs.

Post Anniversary update I generally find the phone to be pretty stable. I use the $29.99 Cricket variant of the Lumia 640 and you really cannot beat the value. If you really want to get the most out of Windows 10 Mobile, though, you'll want to consider moving your mail to outlook, your photos to onedrive and your music subscription to groove. W10 has two of the best reddit apps I've ever used (Baconit, Readit) and some great 3rd party YT apps (mytube!, tubecast, metrotube). It really depends on your app usage to determine how much you'll enjoy the phone.

If you rely on hangouts, god help you. But if you're willing to buy into the Microsoft apps I think you'll really enjoy it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I've owned a 950, and currently, I'm one of the few people to call Windows 10 Mobile as my daily driver. The 950 is going to come on a very early build [likely 10586] of W10, so I wouldn't even TRY to do anything until you upgrade it to at least the current build. If you really want the more advanced features (i.e., Skype integration with messaging everywhere) you'll want to enroll in the fast ring of insider previews -- keep in mind, though, that could come with bugs.

Post Anniversary update I generally find the phone to be pretty stable. I use the $29.99 Cricket variant of the Lumia 640 and you really cannot beat the value. If you really want to get the most out of Windows 10 Mobile, though, you'll want to consider moving your mail to outlook, your photos to onedrive and your music subscription to groove. W10 has two of the best reddit apps I've ever used (Baconit, Readit) and some great 3rd party YT apps (mytube!, tubecast, metrotube). It really depends on your app usage to determine how much you'll enjoy the phone.

If you rely on hangouts, god help you. But if you're willing to buy into the Microsoft apps I think you'll really enjoy it.

I'll be alright, then. I think hangouts is a sad joke with no punchline.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I just realized that I've been telling everyone in my life that the iPhone 7 is good, iOS 10 is good, but then I cancelled the preorder of the 7+ and ordered a year old phone.

>>;

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Seems like first day is going to be focused on updating everything before I go to work. :\

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I would've waited for the price to drop to $250 or so if I wanted to get one. Tough to expect support since Windows Mobile 10 is dead in the water with lack of apps. It just has good internals and a cool Windows Hello Iris Scanner. Had a Surface Pro 4 and it wasn't a huge deal to me, so I moved on from it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Quick thoughts:
Edge is great
The keyboard rocks
Small stutters, mostly keyboard related
Seems to have good battery life
BT is better than on my iPhone

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Quick thoughts:
Edge is great
The keyboard rocks
Small stutters, mostly keyboard related
Seems to have good battery life
Let me know if you have any complete lockups ... My 1520 is very temperamental with Windows 10 even the latest release, with frequent hard lock ups or unresponsiveness.

The annoying thing is Windows 7 mobile and 7.5 were great. Windows 8.1 mobiles was stable, but windows 10 on it has been nothing but exasperating.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I was so tempted to buy a Lumia 520/521 back when I could get it for like $25-30 but every time I tried to pull the trigger, I realized I use Hangouts for calling and texting people and Play Music for music, so there was nothing I could really use the phone for after the novelty wore off.

I'd love to try a high end Windows Phone...phone, but I rely on Google's services too much. :/

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Let me know if you have any complete lockups ... My 1520 is very temperamental with Windows 10 even the latest release, with frequent hard lock ups or unresponsiveness.

The annoying thing is Windows 7 mobile and 7.5 were great. Windows 8.1 mobiles was stable, but windows 10 on it has been nothing but exasperating.

No system wide hangups yet. I'm actually surprised how good it runs considering the chipset it uses. The store did hang for a bit one time, but was smooth after an update.

I was so tempted to buy a Lumia 520/521 back when I could get it for like $25-30 but every time I tried to pull the trigger, I realized I use Hangouts for calling and texting people and Play Music for music, so there was nothing I could really use the phone for after the novelty wore off.

I'd love to try a high end Windows Phone...phone, but I rely on Google's services too much. :/

Yeah. If you rely on Google, you'll never get a Windows Phone.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

When I had the 950XL for a two-week test drive, it was the first WP in my hands where BT worked as well as on my various iPhones, i.e. connected and especially reconnected to my car's BT and headphones without constantly having to have BT cycled first. Lumias 800, 620, 1520, and 925 were all more or less disasters in this regard, but despite all its flaws, it looks like BT was one thing they finally got right in WP10.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
OP: How do you like it? The camera lag on my XL annoyed me as did some random force closures and overheating, and I went back to my iPhone.

I now have a 522 and a 650 for experimenting with

Could always get a Lumia 635 for Sprint and use RingPlus that has free calls.

Or any GSM phone and use Ting.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

I'd be tempted to do that as I have an extra BLT plan with RingPlus that I can't use because I don't have enough devices, though I may be selling it to someone I know. Only problem is I didn't really want to spend more than like $25, and the best deal I can find on a 635 in decent condition is around $40. I know that's still crazy cheap for a phone, but it's just something I wanted to mess around with a little bit, not actually use as my main phone.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Ridiculous value! Does'nt that model have high end specs? One Drive works fine, I have and still do use it sometimes, it's got easy sharing options but I'm not sure if it degrades photo quality on its backups?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ridiculous value! Does'nt that model have high end specs? One Drive works fine, I have and still do use it sometimes, it's got easy sharing options but I'm not sure if it degrades photo quality on its backups?

Spec wise ...

The 950 uses the Snapdragon 808, and has similar specs to the Moto X Pure (3gb ram, 32gb storage, micro SD, Qhd)

The XL has the 810 processor.

For $300 it's still great value.

Reactions: apolloa

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
OP: How do you like it? The camera lag on my XL annoyed me as did some random force closures and overheating, and I went back to my iPhone.

I now have a 522 and a 650 for experimenting with

Loving it so far, switching carriers next week because otherwise I have to carry another phone just to get texts and calls.

I don't see any quality degrading on backups, to be honest. And the specs are good enough. Not 820 w/ 4gb or anything, but still a good value.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
OP: Are you still using the Lumia 950? If so, any updated?

Nope.

My mom needed a phone, so I ended up just using a phone upgrade to get something and she seems to be loving the 950 so far.

Reactions: iMi

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Had the thoughts the windows phone had been dead a long time. My wife loved hers but got fed up at the lack of simple app updates even on common apps like Facebook. She now has a Galaxy S7 edge and wouldn't part with it... even for an iPhone. :O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.