Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
the Isight is not working, it picks up black/white and broken/pixelated image.

Kind of annoying, since I really don't feel like taking it back for something as stupid as a webcam, which i never use anyway. But still, i kind of want to do it for the principal.
My fear is that i will get a replacement with a crappy screen....

what are your thoughts?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Take it back and get them to unbox the replacement, ostensibly to check the iSight but of course you'll be more interested in checking out the display.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It's defective. Get it replaced. I'f the replacement is defective, rinse, repeat.

BTW was it a refurb?

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
Just got home...
Walked into the Garden State Plaza Apple Store-busiest freakin' place ever.
And got a replacement in 5 minutes.
Screen has no lines, AND it seems that this screen is sharper than the other MBA rev C.
Isight is working
No issues whatsoever....

Now I just gotta load SPSS and see how she does...

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Just got home...
Walked into the Garden State Plaza Apple Store-busiest freakin' place ever.
And got a replacement in 5 minutes.
Screen has no lines, AND it seems that this screen is sharper than the other MBA rev C.
Isight is working
No issues whatsoever....

Now I just gotta load SPSS and see how she does...

Which screen model number did you get?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
it's the one that all of them come with....

still, it does look "better"

No, there are specific model numbers.....9C90, etc. There are like 5 screen models used in MBA (you can't pick them....just luck of the draw). You can check it if you look in your system profile.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have seen the lines on 40 of 42 rev C MBAs. I find that most people just don't understand what the lines look like. On some, the lines look like grains in the display going horizontally across. Mostly on white to gray backgrounds. Sometimes on only part of the display. Most of the minor to average defective displays the lines are obvious from four to twelve inches but not from normal distance of more like eighteen to twenty-four inches. Seriously affected units have extremely obvious lines that are visible from average viewing distances to even farther away. I have seen lines from ten feet away at the Apple Store.

I would say that half of all I have seen are minor to moderate and half are seriously affected. People that report "no lines" on multiple units usually never see the lines or do not know what they're looking for. Once someone can detect a slightly affected unit, noticing any defective unit becomes instantly obvious.

Needless to say, of ALL of the displays that I have seen where someone else has proclaimed "perfect, without lines" have been defective. Therefore, when you report "without lines" it should be conveyed whether you can detect a defective display... from what I have seen, 95% have lines. And ALL that were proclaimed to be free of lines.

So, have you seen the lines before??? Or how is it you received two in a row without lines? The odds of that, based upon what I have experienced/witnessed, are extremely unlikely.

At the same time, I would encourage people to NOT look for the lines and just be happy. Yet report that you refuse to identify the lines. Most slightly affected units are not bothersome from normal viewing distance. I would just prefer people not proclaim as being free of lines when from my experience they are very likely to be reporting incorrectly. And incorrect reporting is a problem.

Just leads to those bothered by the lines being disappointed when they think the issue is corrected, but in reality nothing has changed. Just poor reporting by those who do not want to see the lines. I definitely encourage people to not even want to see the lines; but then don't report one way or another as to the lines.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have seen the lines on 40 of 42 rev C MBAs. I find that most people just don't understand what the lines look like. On some, the lines look like grains in the display going horizontally across. Mostly on white to gray backgrounds. Sometimes on only part of the display. Most of the minor to average defective displays the lines are obvious from four to twelve inches but not from normal distance of more like eighteen to twenty-four inches. Seriously affected units have extremely obvious lines that are visible from average viewing distances to even farther away. I have seen lines from ten feet away at the Apple Store.

I would say that half of all I have seen are minor to moderate and half are seriously affected. People that report "no lines" on multiple units usually never see the lines or do not know what they're looking for. Once someone can detect a slightly affected unit, noticing any defective unit becomes instantly obvious.

Needless to say, of ALL of the displays that I have seen where someone else has proclaimed "perfect, without lines" have been defective. Therefore, when you report "without lines" it should be conveyed whether you can detect a defective display... from what I have seen, 95% have lines. And ALL that were proclaimed to be free of lines.

So, have you seen the lines before??? Or how is it you received two in a row without lines? The odds of that, based upon what I have experienced/witnessed, are extremely unlikely.

At the same time, I would encourage people to NOT look for the lines and just be happy. Yet report that you refuse to identify the lines. Most slightly affected units are not bothersome from normal viewing distance. I would just prefer people not proclaim as being free of lines when from my experience they are very likely to be reporting incorrectly. And incorrect reporting is a problem.

Just leads to those bothered by the lines being disappointed when they think the issue is corrected, but in reality nothing has changed. Just poor reporting by those who do not want to see the lines. I definitely encourage people to not even want to see the lines; but then don't report one way or another as to the lines.
Yep, they all have those ugly gray lines!

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed

i tested the screen with a dozen different background colors (pure black, grey, white, black and white, blue, and even real pictures)
There are no lines.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
i tested the screen with a dozen different background colors (pure black, grey, white, black and white, blue, and even real pictures)
There are no lines.

Sorry, but you still haven't stated whether you are even capable of seeing the lines and whether you have experienced them before. Like riding bike, once you know how to spot it becomes instantly obvious.

As far as you're concerned, there are no lines and that's all that should matter to you. At the same time, as I stated before, you should clarify your ability to identify lines before exclaiming having two in a row that are absolutely line free.

I find it extremely improbable that you would have two rev C MBAs in a row with lineless displays. Not that I want you to have displays with lines but that the probability of getting two "line free" displays in a row is extremely unlikely. So clarification of your experience/capability of seeing the lines would add to the credibility of your report. No offense intended.

I wish I couldn't see the dang lines. But for at least half that I have seen, they don't affect "normal" viewing but just seen close up.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
Sorry, but you still haven't stated whether you are even capable of seeing the lines and whether you have experienced them before. Like riding bike, once you know how to spot it becomes instantly obvious.

As far as you're concerned, there are no lines and that's all that should matter to you. At the same time, as I stated before, you should clarify your ability to identify lines before exclaiming having two in a row that are absolutely line free.

I find it extremely improbable that you would have two rev C MBAs in a row with lineless displays. Not that I want you to have displays with lines but that the probability of getting two "line free" displays in a row is extremely unlikely. So clarification of your experience/capability of seeing the lines would add to the credibility of your report. No offense intended.

I wish I couldn't see the dang lines. But for at least half that I have seen, they don't affect "normal" viewing but just seen close up.

i didnt know that i need to have this ability you speak of. Do you want me to take a pic an post it on here? What background do you wane me to have? I have seen what these lines look like on many pics posted on the net.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
i didnt know that i need to have this ability you speak of. Do you want me to take a pic an post it on here? What background do you wane me to have? I have seen what these lines look like on many pics posted on the net.
The problem is some just cant see them, be happy if you can't. and stop looking.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

It's nearly impossible to truly take a photo with exceptional resolution capable of displaying the lines. The lines are extremely vague on the majority of affected units. Every display that I have seen after someone proclaimed was line free in fact had the lines. It's possible you could have had two witout lines but isn't probable. It is far more likely that your MBA has lines which you don't see - that's a positive for you.

All I have tried to do was calculate your experience with identification of the lines, and you have not clarified whether you see lines on slightly affected displays. Like I stated before, it's better to not care about or want to see the lines. I would just prefer clarification from those exclaiming "no lines" as to whether they have EVER identified lines on an MBA. As someone who states they have received two line free displays, I instantly believe it to be unintentional yet inaccurate reporting.

You still fail to identify your experience identifying the lines. And that leads me to consider that the reporting is possibly flawed rather than Apple actually correcting the problem and shipping multiple flawless displays on rev C MBAs. Again, I do not believe it's intentional inaccurate reporting nor that it's accurate reporting as you have expressed no experience in stating you have seen the lines thereby not clarifying the accuracy of your report of two line-free displays.

If you want people to use your reporting as fact just clarify your experience with the ability to identify the lines on both moderate and slightly affected MBA displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.