Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elchicano99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hey! So I've been using an old iBook G4 for the last 2 1/2 years, and finally bought a Rev C (pre SR) Macbook Pro (Core 2 Duo) - 2GB, 2.33 GHz, as you can imagine, I am overwhelmed by the enormity of my speed boost and all the other amazing upgrades (I spend hours just plugging and unplugging my magsafe cord, and starting and stopping FrontRow, yeah, I'm one of those people obsessed with productivity...).

What I'd like to know, is what are all the cool applications out there that i've been missing out on due to my pre-Intel processor?

I've installed the amazing all-mighty Windows Vista (sarcasm), and enjoy having OSX on my laptop monitor and Vista running on my external monitor, and I've installed Mira to fully take advantage of my little remote, but what other things can I take advantage of? (Well, there's the fact that I can play games other than TextTwist and Chess...)

Any suggestions? I love trying out apps that enhance my enjoyment of using a computer, you know, like those programs that install into your System Preferences and do all sorts of nifty tricks... are there any useful ones that I can use now and couldn't before other than Mira?

Well sorry for the Ramble and I appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Wikipedia says that there are 3 Revisions.

However weren't they originally released with 1.66 and 1.83GHZ Core Duo's?

Apparently this was changed to 1.83GHZ and 2.0GHZ before launch.

Nice Purchase the Core 2 Duo's are blazing and you won't miss much performance with the lower FSB, except for the lack of 4GB of Ram.

Tracer

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Well, look for most anything that utilizes the Sudden Motion Sensor in the machine since those are usually good for a giggle. iAlertU is really entertaining. You can use to lock and 'arm' your laptop. So as you walk away you hold Menu on the remote and the laptop beeps and blacks the screen. Then, if it detects the power cable altering state (plugged in or unplugged), the keyboard, trackpad or mouse getting moved, the lid being closed, or the machine being moved, it lets out this car alarm-esque klaxon that promptly causes the person to freak out. It also can take a picture with the iSight and email that picture to you.

XSlimmer is a glorious app that will remove PPC code from all the Universal Binaries on your system as well as make them only english if you like. The free trial lets you slim down only 50MBs of stuff, but it will at least give you an idea of how much space you would save if you paid the $12 for the lifetime license.

Growl!!! Get it, install it, love it.

Adium is sweet unless you are hooked on iChat and Video Chatting

Flip4Mac
Perian
Intel Codec Pack

With those combined Quicktime can now basically play anything, which means that Front Row can play basically anything.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I thought the 2.33GHz MBPs were the second revision
while the Santa Rosa MBPs are the third revision.
You are correct. He has the second set of mbps (C2D).

Wikipedia says that there are 3 Revisions.
However weren't they originally released with 1.66 and 1.83GHZ Core Duo's?
Apparently this was changed to 1.83GHZ and 2.0GHZ before launch.
There are 3 revisions, including the SR series. The OP does not have an SR mbp, so his would be the second series.

As for the 1.67 and 1.83 models that were later bumped, we can't count these as a revision because they never made it to the market.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
You are correct. He has the second set of mbps (C2D).

There are 3 revisions, including the SR series. The OP does not have an SR mbp, so his would be the second series.

As for the 1.67 and 1.83 models that were later bumped, we can't count these as a revision because they never made it to the market.

the macbook pros launched initially with 1.83 and 2.0 models, which were quietly updated to 2.0 and 2.16 (still core duo) models when the macbooks were introduced. this could be considered a second revision. it also marked the first time macbook pros were available with the choice of a glossy screen. then the core 2 duos came in october, followed by sr macbook pros in june.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
the macbook pros launched initially with 1.83 and 2.0 models, which were quietly updated to 2.0 and 2.16 (still core duo) models when the macbooks were introduced. this could be considered a second revision. it also marked the first time macbook pros were available with the choice of a glossy screen. then the core 2 duos came in october, followed by sr macbook pros in june.

Ahh yes. I forgot about that summer bump:eek:

siurpeeman must you always trump me?:D

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Must-have applications:

VLC
Flip4Mac
VisualHub ($) You will notice how much faster running VisualHub is compared to your G4. Maybe you could use Xgrid and use your G4 and your MBP to make the process even quicker.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
The Adobe CS3 suite (photoshop, illustrator, indesign etc) take advantage of the intel chips.

If you're in to any of that you'll see a big speed bump.

elchicano99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Thank you all very much for the replies, I appreciate it... I tried out that iAlertU app at 5am outisde on my porch (live in an apartment complex) while a friend of mine was asleep on my couch and my girlfriend was asleep in my room - - - I forgot the remote inside and couldn't get the alarm to cease, good times =P (had to end up turning off my computer in panic heheh)
Now, on to the serious stuff. I use Growl and photoshop and VisualHub, now, I'd like to know what this XGrid is about - I had in my mind the impression that it had to do something with servers, like Apple's server computer that they sell, I should probably just Wikipedia it, but yeah, it sounds interesting - - how do you connect the computers? how does it work? ok, thanks guys! (Oh, and what was the conclusion? was I write in assuming I have a 3rd gen MBP or is it just a second gen?)

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
to turn off the alarm, just go to the keyboard and type the password. then it will stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.