Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
zim said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I am very grateful for having received the iPod shuffle and the trade up was just a mere thought.

Well the other option is to eBay it.

I got over 40 pounds for a well used 512MB shuffle so if yours is sealed you could get more and then put the rest towards a nano.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I don't get what's so wrong with this. Are any of you married here? Gifts you get at weddings ... say two people give you the same thing, or you don't need the set of plates they gave you, and you don't have the receipts. 4 out of 5 people will simply take the gift to a store (usually WalMart) and get it exchanged for credit.

It happens all the time people, more often that you'd think.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Update

My wife and I went to the Apple Peabody store on Friday. They were more then happy to exchange the unopened packaged Shuffle without a receipt. The transaction was simple and painless no paper work :D.

SO.. we are in the store and well, the nano is wicked cool BUT... wife commented how much she loved my iPod and said do you really need two iPods? well, cutting to the point... I ended up with a brand new iPod 20GB for $189 (99 dollar credit from the Shuffle plus student discount)!!! The color screen is wicked cool! Already loaded it up with photos too :D oh and my wife now has my old 20GB which upgrades her from the 2G iPod or the big clunker as she calls it.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Verto said:
I'm talking about trying to return an item to a store which you did not buy from, intentionally, in hopes of getting money. If a store says, we'll take anything regardless of where you bought it, then fine. But some people here are advocating what I myself would consider fraud - "Say you got it within the return policy but don't have the receipt. It's easy, only if it is sealed."

That is not deceitful. It is just the way it works. I suggested doing this at the Apple Store, it is where they sell it so it is not a problem for them to put an item they manufacture and sell back into inventory and sell basically an upgrade. So calm down and go back to law school.

Judging by the outcome, you were the wrong one. I of course knew that all along.
:rolleyes:

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
zim said:
My wife and I went to the Apple Peabody store on Friday. They were more then happy to exchange the unopened packaged Shuffle without a receipt. The transaction was simple and painless no paper work :D.

SO.. we are in the store and well, the nano is wicked cool BUT... wife commented how much she loved my iPod and said do you really need two iPods? well, cutting to the point... I ended up with a brand new iPod 20GB for $189 (99 dollar credit from the Shuffle plus student discount)!!! The color screen is wicked cool! Already loaded it up with photos too :D oh and my wife now has my old 20GB which upgrades her from the 2G iPod or the big clunker as she calls it.
im glad everything worked out for you, zim. it was nice she got your old iPod too :)

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Thats Awesome it worked out for you. I will also make the assumption the ipod most likely came from the apple store since they keep a computer inventory of everything they sell with their own unique barcode system, so no guilt there!

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Jay42 said:
Yes, I would try to return it. I personally don't think it is too deceitful, especially if the shuffle is truly sealed and you are giving the store more business. Its certainly not as bad as the people who use stuff (camcorders, etc.) knowing that they're going to return it, or people that buy, rip, and return cds from a used store or something.

my neighbor does that all the time... I thinks its kinda funny Best Buy can take a hit every now and then... I guess im a bad person ;)

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
shane-o-mac said:
Thats Awesome it worked out for you. I will also make the assumption the ipod most likely came from the apple store since they keep a computer inventory of everything they sell with their own unique barcode system, so no guilt there!

The shuffle was originally from the apple.com online store but I am not entirely sure if that would have mattered. The woman at the store said, "as long as it is unopened and the package is in good condition." So to me that would imply they wouldn't have cared if it came from say Target or Best by. The transaction did require her to scan it but other then that it was pretty simple.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I say, "go for it."

If it works great for you if not great for you again. It's a win/win situation. :)

The store will be making more money by you upgrading to a higher end model. ;) :)

Good luck with it. :D

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
oh well now it's just the decision of what to trade it up for? :D

I say....a 2gb nano...in white - black will be played out soo soon. white will be the original.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
iEric said:
oh well now it's just the decision of what to trade it up for? :D

I say....a 2gb nano...in white - black will be played out soo soon. white will be the original.

I have heard many Nano owners complain, as to how easy the Nano black or white scratches. Once scratched the screen is unreadable.

Make a wise choice. :)

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
zim said:
My wife just gave me an iPod shuffle, 512MB. I love it... well.. it is still in the box so I can't say that quite yet. My wife won the iPod shuffle in a raffle and has so thoughtfully given it to me as a gift. I am extremely happy to have received such a wonderful gift but I got to thinking and thought I would post this question... If the shuffle is still packaged, which it is, does anyone think that it would be returnable? Not for cash but as a credit towards either a 1GB shuffle or even an iPod nano 2GB? I was thinking of trying Target and seeing what their policy was or questiong my school store... any thoughts on this issue? am I being deceitful? greedy?

The shuffle is really cute and it would be neat to have around my neck but if I could use it as a credit towards a 1GB or nano then that would be even cooler.

Thanks

1. Do you think that would be ok with your wife?
2. I would do it 4 sure if it was ok with her ^

iPaul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.