Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Amazon is the one processing it all. I’m sure they’d be willing to hand over all of those email addresses and credit card information… ;)
I was eluding to the behavioral/biometric data moreso than simple credit card useage.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I was eluding to the behavioral/biometric data moreso than simple credit card useage.
From what I gather, it’s not being “recorded” per se. I’m not even sure if behavioral data is being collected or if they’re even able to collect it with the hardware in those stores.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
From what I gather, it’s not being “recorded” per se. I’m not even sure if behavioral data is being collected or if they’re even able to collect it with the hardware in those stores.
Maybe you should Google a little and properly find out.

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
All of the posts that are about your comment have diluted the actual content you wanted to discuss. You introduced a good topic, then tried to moderate the responses. It didn't go over well.
I didn’t try to moderate anything. In fact, I actually tried to steer the discussion back on track, but not everybody’s helping out with that.
Maybe you should Google a little and properly find out.
I already did that. :)

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I didn’t try to moderate anything. In fact, I actually tried to steer the discussion back on track, but not everybody’s helping out with that.

When @mw360 posted two very valid opinions, prefacing each with a rhetorical question, you misinterpreted their words as asking non-rhetorical questions. To this you replied:

Maybe you should do some research first? Most of those questions could probably be answered by Google.

I read that to mean they shouldn't be asking those questions without first researching. I considered that to be your attempt to moderate the conversation. Maybe others did too. Honestly, to me your words read like a reprimand.

Reactions: stiligFox

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
When @mw360 posted two very valid opinions, prefacing each with a rhetorical question, you misinterpreted their words as asking non-rhetorical questions. To this you replied:

I read that to mean they shouldn't be asking those questions without first researching. I considered that to be your attempt to moderate the conversation. Maybe others did too. Honestly, to me your words read like a reprimand.
There was a lot of misinformation being spread. I had to make the recommendation that users should research the subject matter before sharing wild claims about it. I can’t “moderate” the discussion because I’m not a moderator here.
I walked into this thread to see what people’s thoughts were on the implication of Amazon’s tech - which I personally find very invasive - and based on the replies I’m going to turn around and “just walk out”
Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate as to why you find it invasive?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What’s in it for them? Eliminating millions of retail jobs, giving the customer less opportunity to contemplate the cost of what they’re buying. Tracking the products we look at, even if we don’t pick them up, so that tempting chocolate we resisted will follow us around all day spamming us with ads until we buy it later.

Whats in it for us? If a store is so busy it has a checkout line, this thing might also have the same problem. I bet that store has a shopper limit so the cameras can get a clear view of the customers picking at the shelves, so there’s still a potential for queuing, it’s just moved to the entrance instead of the checkout.
What's in it for the retailer? Less shrink, less human cost, more accurate inventory tracking, more reliable data gathering for customer behavior, I could go on.

What's in it for cutomers? Convenience. Just grab n go, without having to fumble around for payment.

In my country, I would be happy if grocery stores would simply implement self checkout system. Since most people are still paying in cash, the regular checkout lines can take a long time just for small purchases as people fumbling around trying to find exact change. It's highly inefficient, and it's annoying when you just got out off work and just wanted to checkout your dinner, and you had to wait behind a housewife who just bought a months' worth of grocery and fumbling around and arguing with the cashier because there's one item that is not on sale. Even a contactless card is inefficient as I have to give my card to the cashier since all the machines are not within customers' reach.

A system like "just walk out" would be a dream. But I will settle for a simple self checkout.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I walked into this thread to see what people’s thoughts were on the implication of Amazon’s tech - which I personally find very invasive - and based on the replies I’m going to turn around and “just walk out”
Unfortunately, that ship has sailed, the moment you decided to go cashless. Grocery stores have been tracking your purchases via their rewards cards, while credit card companies have been tracking your shopping behaviors through purchases. And all of these have been happening before anything Amazon is doing. So if I get at least some sort of convenience, better for me, as these companies are already tracking my purchases without it.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
What's in it for the retailer? Less shrink, less human cost, more accurate inventory tracking, more reliable data gathering for customer behavior, I could go on.

What's in it for cutomers? Convenience. Just grab n go, without having to fumble around for payment.

In my country, I would be happy if grocery stores would simply implement self checkout system. Since most people are still paying in cash, the regular checkout lines can take a long time just for small purchases as people fumbling around trying to find exact change. It's highly inefficient, and it's annoying when you just got out off work and just wanted to checkout your dinner, and you had to wait behind a housewife who just bought a months' worth of grocery and fumbling around and arguing with the cashier because there's one item that is not on sale. Even a contactless card is inefficient as I have to give my card to the cashier since all the machines are not within customers' reach.

A system like "just walk out" would be a dream. But I will settle for a simple self checkout.
Thank you! You’re the savior of this thread!

If retailers aren’t going to implement self-checkout systems, they should just start using cashierless technology.

It’s a massive convenience, but some states have made cashless stores illegal.
1657207151750.png

On the flip side, there are ways to convert cash into prepaid cards through reverse ATMs.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
There was a lot of misinformation being spread. I had to make the recommendation that users should research the subject matter before sharing wild claims about it. I can’t “moderate” the discussion because I’m not a moderator here.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate as to why you find it invasive?
I should start out by saying my only knowledge of the system is through a video Linus Tech Tips did a while back on it. For me it’s bad enough that stores track what I purchase, but now that they can track what I look at, what I pick up, what I put back down, where I put it back down, all of that, that just feels one stop short of getting directly into my mind.

For instance, if I’m considering purchasing something more intimate in nature, I’d much prefer not potentially ad targeted for it if I pick a product up and sit it back down. Or if I pick up something trying to figure out what it is, than can skew the algorithm in ways I’d not intended. I’ve already had it happen where I pause too long on a single post on Twitter or TikTok, and the apps think that is due to me having an interest in that content and thus begins showing more of that content, even though I was merely trying to process what I was looking at and had no interest in that content at all. Feasibly, the same thing could happen at a store; Amazon’s tracking of what you’re picking up and putting down could easily be misconstrued by the system as genuine interest.

What comes to mind is that time when Target let a girls father know she was pregnant before she even told him through the use of purchase history and thus the offered coupons. This would be that same system, but no longer just limited to items purchased, but also *items merely looked at.*

That’s why I find it invasive. Do other stores, and credit cards already track similiar data? (Although AFAIK credit cards only see bulk totals from purchases, not itemized lists.) Sure, but why keep digging ourselves even further down into this path where large tech companies have a stranglehold of every minute detail of our lives, know what we want or need even better than we do ourselves?

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I should start out by saying my only knowledge of the system is through a video Linus Tech Tips did a while back on it. For me it’s bad enough that stores track what I purchase, but now that they can track what I look at, what I pick up, what I put back down, where I put it back down, all of that, that just feels one stop short of getting directly into my mind.

For instance, if I’m considering purchasing something more intimate in nature, I’d much prefer not potentially ad targeted for it if I pick a product up and sit it back down. Or if I pick up something trying to figure out what it is, than can skew the algorithm in ways I’d not intended. I’ve already had it happen where I pause too long on a single post on Twitter or TikTok, and the apps think that is due to me having an interest in that content and thus begins showing more of that content, even though I was merely trying to process what I was looking at and had no interest in that content at all. Feasibly, the same thing could happen at a store; Amazon’s tracking of what you’re picking up and putting down could easily be misconstrued by the system as genuine interest.

What comes to mind is that time when Target let a girls father know she was pregnant before she even told him through the use of purchase history and thus the offered coupons. This would be that same system, but no longer just limited to items purchased, but also *items merely looked at.*

That’s why I find it invasive. Do other stores, and credit cards already track similiar data? (Although AFAIK credit cards only see bulk totals from purchases, not itemized lists.) Sure, but why keep digging ourselves even further down into this path where large tech companies have a stranglehold of every minute detail of our lives, know what we want or need even better than we do ourselves?
None of that information is being permanently recorded or used for targeted advertising. Third-party retailers also don’t have access to it.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
None of that information is being permanently recorded or used for targeted advertising. Third-party retailers also don’t have access to it.
And whose word are we trusting? Amazon? One of the largest data collectors out there? Forgive me if I don’t take their word for it.

They don’t need to share it to 3rd party retailers. Just them by themselves is bad enough.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
And whose word are we trusting? Amazon? One of the largest data collectors out there? Forgive me if I don’t take their word for it.

They don’t need to share it to 3rd party retailers. Just them by themselves is bad enough.
Yes, I trust their word. If they blatantly lied about such a thing, I don’t think they’d be able to ever recover from the bad press, not to mention that it’s illegal.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Did you read the article?
No. I read "case in point" and asked "point of what?" I watched part of one of your original videos, and thought "wow, no way until they can work out all sorts of issues".

You posted an article, why do I want to read it?

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Thank you! You’re the savior of this thread!

If retailers aren’t going to implement self-checkout systems, they should just start using cashierless technology.

It’s a massive convenience, but some states have made cashless stores illegal.
View attachment 2027175

On the flip side, there are ways to convert cash into prepaid cards through reverse ATMs.
Going cashless is a scary thought. Here in Canada one of our major internet providers went down on Friday. This effected millions. Debit did not work anywhere, no internet, cell service, home phone, data, police, EMS, etc. The more reliant we are on the internet the simpler it will be for a country crumble with a bad discussion or wonky update (which is what Rogers is claiming was the issue for the outage). Thankfully Visa still worked, it would have been real chaos if that went down as well as few people keep cash anymore, you would not have been able to get cash out of an ATM with debit. Buying gas, groceries or anything would not be possible, and even if you had cash how much does one usually carry and how far will that get you with gas prices the way they are?

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
You posted an article, why do I want to read it?
Why are you participating in this thread then?
Going cashless is a scary thought. Here in Canada one of our major internet providers went down on Friday. This effected millions. Debit did not work anywhere, no internet, cell service, home phone, data, police, EMS, etc. The more reliant we are on the internet the simpler it will be for a country crumble with a bad discussion or wonky update (which is what Rogers is claiming was the issue for the outage). Thankfully Visa still worked, it would have been real chaos if that went down as well as few people keep cash anymore, you would not have been able to get cash out of an ATM with debit. Buying gas, groceries or anything would not be possible, and even if you had cash how much does one usually carry and how far will that get you with gas prices the way they are?
You might as well be scared of credit cards then. Start bringing bags of cash with you to the store!

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008

You might as well be scared of credit cards then. Start bringing bags of cash with you to the store!
1. I'm a glutton for punishment. I saw your title, but couldn't figure out what it meant. After watching part of one video, my thought was "uh, no". You keep asking for opinions, but I can't tell about what.

2. No, I much prefer credit to debit, and don't want to bother with cash.

I don't believe you understand how any of this works. In real life. The cashless system you referenced in post 1 still relies on the Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex system, but adds a layer of complexity that I don't believe these folks have really figured out.

What is it you hope to gain with this "discussion"?

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021

Huh? The point of my post was to not be completely dependant on one system. We just had this in Canada with one major company going down and debit cards unusable across the country, along with cell phones, data and internet for those who use one of the, if not largest, provider in the country. Credit cards worked fine. I hope this does not happen again but what if it does, or happens in the US with a much larger population and everything is down, debit and credit. In a world where you can't use physical cash I would expect all the gun nuts to start coming out and buying their food and gas with lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.