Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
We want to upgrade our security system and get away from an alarm company. We figure maybe it is time to look at what this homekit stuff might do for us. All we have now is a Chamberlin MyQ garage opener that we would like to also integrate. So on the list would be a doorbell, and climate control and mayyybe the sprinkler system. Not looking at lights or anything fancy like that.

For the security system, we will need 4-6 cameras. I had a concern with wireless because we have a small (Costco) Panasonic camera that is very slow to sync up...or even sync at all. Will a wireless system be OK or do I need to hardwire all the cameras which I am not sure I want to do.

So, what is my simpliest and most efficient options for
4-6 cameras
Climate (1 zone)
Doorbell
What other hardware?

All Apple products in house inc. 4K ATV.

Please use small words and minimize options. I am not looking for the cheapest alternative but something that last long term.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I would add a door lock to your list. I like Schlage locks but there are Other excellent choices. Climate depends on what your existing HVAC system is. I had a Carrier system that could only use their thermostat for full functionality. We travel a lot so control over the main water shutoff and water heater is very useful. Water leak sensors can avert a disaster.
I got a Woot deal on a Ring doorbell and have been very happy with it. My wife says it gives her a much better feeling of security.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
There are currently only two HomeKit doorbell options on the market. Robin Proline which is heavily overpriced for outdated specs and the Yobi which didn’t get a great review from a prominent HomeKit YouTuber. There are a few rumored to be in the pipe though so if you’re looking for a HomeKit doorbell, I’d wait a few more months for that. If you don’t want to wait, you can get a Nest Hello and add a Starling Hub which will expose the Nest Hello to HomeKit.
As for HVAC, I’ve had Ecobee 4 for a few years and it’s been rock solid in HomeKit. Gets great reviews from everywhere I read.

As for cameras, you looking for outdoor, indoor or a combination? A lot of cameras are being released for HomeKit now so you have options but it depends on your requirements.

DIY self monitoring alarm system, I recommend Aqara. They make several sensors that are very competitively priced and compact from contact to water leak to vibration, temperature, motion, etc. All you need is the Hub which plugs in the wall and it has a built in RGB LED and siren. The individual sensors communicate with the hub extremely fast. Haven’t had any issues with it whatsoever.

You can make this is cheap and simple as you like or complicated and expensive. I personally like smart lights (bulbs or switches) and believe they’re important for home automation. Not because they’re fancy but they can be really instrumental in the security aspect.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I’ll second Aqara. Their door sensors have been flawless and fast. Aqara also has a new HomeKit camera though not for the US market yet.

Schlage Sense Door lock has been flawless. Though the lock housing is starting to fade after about two years of on/off sun.

Ecobee for climate. The remote sensors are great.

MyQ will need their Homebridge to talk to HomeKit. I struggle with MyQ. Hate the system.

I have Homekit (Circle 2) and non HomeKit cams (Wyze). I haven’t found that integrating cameras into HomeKit offered anything over the non HomeKit cameras. Though that’ll probably change with iOS 14 ... plus the aqara cams I mentioned.

Make sure you have strong wifi throughout the house or you may struggle with “not responding“ messages from HomeKit. I used to get those often before getting a mesh system. Now everything is peachy ... except MyQ. I hate MyQ.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
So, what is my simpliest and most efficient options for
4-6 cameras
Climate (1 zone)
Doorbell
What other hardware?

All Apple products in house inc. 4K ATV.
I say this as someone who now considers HomeKit to be a fun hobby, and whose wife finds my new hobby to be extremely annoying. So I have cred...
If you are only looking for the things listed above don't rule out Nest. I know, I know. But really, I tried doing HomeKit cameras with HomeKit Secure Video and it just didn't compare to Nest in my experience. If those are really the things you're looking for then Nest has them all and all would be done in one simple app. Just a thought.

Reactions: Philpug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.