Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Well, it took some courage to purchase and hold onto Apple stock over the last several years. Patience has paid off today - I sold 600 shares @ $91.20 per share - some with a cost basis of about $22.00 and it was all retirement tax sheltered :D :D :D

My judgement tells me that Apple Inc. stock will shortly flatten, decline and then languish throughout the spring as the iTV hype is already built into the current price and the iPhone is still 6 months away - a very long time in the high tech world.

A bright future for the new Apple Inc. - I will certainly buy back in as the hype and price drops down over the next few (days, weeks, months,??).

Go Apple Inc. :)

Amber

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
How would I go about buying Apple Shares? I know nothing about it. Can I pay online?

Well done by the way!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, scary how it went up $7 today - usually it goes up before an event and then drops.

I imagine we'll see it go over $100 now, though. I bought some before it split last - not sure how much I have now - but its all good :D

D

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
How would I go about buying Apple Shares? I know nothing about it. Can I pay online?

Well done by the way!

Amber - basically you would go online to a financial firm like fidelity.com and open a brokerage account. You may well want to open a "retirement brokerage" account so that your capital gains (profits) are sheltered from taxes until retirement withdrawls. You would deposit $$$ into what is often called a money market SWEEP ACCOUNT where your $$$ reside and earn 4.5% - 5.5% currently. When you see the stock you want at the price you like you go online and place a buy order for som many shares at either the "market price" or at a limit order where you set the price that you will pay. The trade gets executed (assuming there are sellers at what you are offering) and the $$$ depart your SWEEP ACCOUNT and you now own those shares. Just the opposite when you decide to sell. Fees range from around the $6 - $15 per TRANSACTION.

Hope that helps :)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Mr. Anderson - I agree it might bump up a bit - my guess is that it will not ht $100 this go around. I am counting on a drop to around $82 per share, at which time I will jump back in.

A lot of the "rumors" did not come true:

no large HD monitor
no new displays
no C2D mini
no ultra thin MBP
no speed bumps
no iWork 07
no iLife 07
no news on leopard
no iPhone shipping near term 6 MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!
iTV already built into the stock price & NOT 1080p capable - LAME SPECS

There are some other rumors I may have missed, but...............

Amber

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Amber - basically you would go online to a financial firm like fidelity.com and open a brokerage account. You may well want to open a "retirement brokerage" account so that your capital gains (profits) are sheltered from taxes until retirement withdrawls. You would deposit $$$ into what is often called a money market SWEEP ACCOUNT where your $$$ reside and earn 4.5% - 5.5% currently. When you see the stock you want at the price you like you go online and place a buy order for som many shares at either the "market price" or at a limit order where you set the price that you will pay. The trade gets executed (assuming there are sellers at what you are offering) and the $$$ depart your SWEEP ACCOUNT and you now own those shares. Just the opposite when you decide to sell. Fees range from around the $6 - $15 per TRANSACTION.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks, people always make stocks seems so complicated when really I think some people don't want to let others know what they do.

So realisticly what's the minimum I'd need to spend/buy for it to be profitable if the shares went up taking into account the transaction fee.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Thanks, people always make stocks seems so complicated when really I think some people don't want to let others know what they do.

So realisticly what's the minimum I'd need to spend/buy for it to be profitable if the shares went up taking into account the transaction fee.

and the capital gains taxes and the various rules for day trading and terms for holding onto stocks before selling, its all fees and taxes, though Im the last person to ask about stocks...

what I do know is you cant buy today, sell tomorrow, make $10,000 and actually keep the whole $10,000.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Should have waited a day to pocket another $3480 ;)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=aapl

You got that right :-0 We just got back from Macworld - plenty of iPod accessories, laptop bags, speakers, headphones, docks, BUT no real beef. The iPhone was encased in a plastic cylinder with everyone taking pics.

We have been to many Macworlds and this one was a disappointment - not much to really see & touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.