Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I am interested in these 2 leather cases made by Kavaj: Berlin and Dallas.

I am leaning toward the Berlin, but I have 2 concerns:

1) Without the rigid frame like the Dallas, would the iPad slip eventually and require regular adjustment?
2) Does the cover folds back flat and sticks to the back with strong magnets like Apple's silicon case and smart cover.

I currently have Apple's silicon case and SmartCover. This combo is nice, and I love the fact that the cover would stick to the back when folded behind the case. But I always like feel of real leather, hence my interest in the Kavaj cases.

I would appreciate it if you have some experience with either cases and would like to share.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I have had Berlin and Hamburg for Air/Air 2. Beautiful leather. LOVE the Dallas plastic case insert instead of leather frame. Would probably go back to kavaj if they made that for bigger iPads.

I had same issue with Berlin, it just doesn't hold the ipad up reliably even after creasing as they suggest. Maybe smaller iPad would work.

Hamburg was much better for this. My daily driver for Air. Now I use a Thule hard case so I can avoid carrying the kavaj inside a sleeve to protect leather. Still miss kavaj.

Neither case has magnets to hold cover back. I also didn't love the frame interference, especially on sides. Had a devil of a time getting control center up reliably when in landscape.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I have had Berlin and Hamburg for Air/Air 2. Beautiful leather. LOVE the Dallas plastic case insert instead of leather frame. Would probably go back to kavaj if they made that for bigger iPads.

I had same issue with Berlin, it just doesn't hold the ipad up reliably even after creasing as they suggest. Maybe smaller iPad would work.

Hamburg was much better for this. My daily driver for Air. Now I use a Thule hard case so I can avoid carrying the kavaj inside a sleeve to protect leather. Still miss kavaj.

Neither case has magnets to hold cover back. I also didn't love the frame interference, especially on sides. Had a devil of a time getting control center up reliably when in landscape.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The fact that the magnet is not strong enough to hold the cover when folded back is a bummer. I have an Apple leather SmartCase for my Air 1 and while I love the leather and the feel, the cover can get into the way at times.

The SmartCover and silicon case for my iPad Mini 4 is great, other than the fact that it is not leather. The cover can come off if I want it to, but because it has strong magnets to hold it against the back, I can fold it back and it virtually disappears.

I was wondering about the edge cover of the Kavaj Berlin too. As I suspected, it can get into the way of the function of the iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.