Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Wow, well I didn't really expect to see a new IMAC this soon. Having just bought one for 1400$ net of amazon rebates end of last month, well it broke and a new one is coming, but now I wonder if the new IMAC INTEL is better?

2x faster? It doesn't really appear to be 2X for most tasks, but given what it is, maybe I should try my best to change the shipping of the new one?

I guess for one buying today, there is no question of what to buy. INTEL IMAC. I'll try to view them tomorrow.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Man get the intel iMac no doubt, i just don't buy the intel teething problems people talk about...

SHadow

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
yeah

trying to work with amazon now, they were suppossed to ship out the replacement for my defective one today. But, dang I really don't want them to ship me the older 20", if the new INTEL is running that much faster and including all the ilife updated apps and all.

Heck, I would even be will to pay full price now for the 2x faster one.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Get the Intel... initially you'll have some apps that only run under Rosetta, but even then it will be plenty fast. Apps that are universal binaries will become the standard now, and they'll run much faster on the Intel Mac. :)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
yeah

Yeah, I think I will cancel the order when it arrives. Apparently, I will get a FULL REFUND on the CC.

So, I had the 20" before at 1400$ new, this one will be 1700$, but I might still be able to get it for 1550$ after my 150$ off coupon.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
I ordered a 20" iMac G5 from the applestore six days ago and they shipped it today. Any tips on what to do? Should I cancel or send it back to change it to a Intel version? Or should I just keep it?
Of note: I have also orderes a Elgato EyeTV EZ USB 2.0 TV Receiver to use it as a TV. Will this work on the new one?:confused:

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I'm peed off. I bought mine one and a half months ago thinking they wouldn't upgrade the iMac till mid/late summer. Boy was I mistaken!

Not so much of a happy switcher now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would like to see Apple give us new iMac owners something. A faster iMac would be really useful for my degree as I have to do a lot of music production.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
IEatApples said:
I ordered a 20" iMac G5 from the applestore six days ago and they shipped it today. Any tips on what to do? Should I cancel or send it back to change it to a Intel version? Or should I just keep it?
Of note: I have also orderes a Elgato EyeTV EZ USB 2.0 TV Receiver to use it as a TV. Will this work on the new one?:confused:

When you receive it, you have a 14 day return anyway. Simply ring apple and they'll issue you a RMA number, a courier will collect and you'll be refunded.

I'm in the same boat with the powerbook..

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
MacRumorUser said:
When you receive it, you have a 14 day return anyway. Simply ring apple and they'll issue you a RMA number, a courier will collect and you'll be refunded.

Agree - if they haven't shipped just cancel the order rather than try and change it. If not, the suggestion above certainly works regarding a simple return certainly works.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
2x faster for universal binaries, 2x slower for powerpc apps like games? ;) I'll wait for the benchmarks, but I think you'll have to wait a while before you're able to take advantage of the speed of it. There are other advantages though, like darwine, or a fast virtual machine for windows in the future. I doubt it will boot XP though, but it should boot Vista when that's out, it's EFI bios. I use both OSX and Windows often, so that's huge for me, but other people are different.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
howesey said:
I'm peed off. I bought mine one and a half months ago thinking they wouldn't upgrade the iMac till mid/late summer. Boy was I mistaken! Not so much of a happy switcher now. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I REALLY do not understand people like you, seriously - is it all about keeping up with, or surpassing, the Joneses???!? Think about it - you have a SWEET Apple system that is fully capable and does not have the potential for 1st Rev problems like the Inel will. So WHAT if you don't own the ABSOLUTE best - you still have 100% what you paid for a few months ago, and that is one awesome machine!!

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
MacRumorUser said:

I have talked with Apple and they will collect it as soon as it gets here. They said the first order should arrive in about 4 days and they would probably collect it the next. It would then take about one week for it to get back to Apple and I get my money back so I can order the new one.
I will then order the 20" iMac with 2GB DDR2 SDRAM and 256MB GDDR3 memory. I just hope that the Elgato's EyeTV EZ receiver works on the Intel machines? I asked Apple about this, but they said that everything was so new to them as well, so they would return to me with an answer when they had one.:p

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Changed My Mind

I think I have changed my mind about this after talking to Apple three times today, and my mother, father and friends.
The last conversation I had with Apple kind of made me decide to keep my first order. I was told that applications like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign would work very poorly if at all untill the new versions come out this summer. For me as a student it would be impossible to buy new versions right now. They also stated that the rumors about booting windows on Intel Macs based on this statement by Schiller: “That’s fine with us. We don’t mind,” Schiller said. “If there are people who love our hardware but are forced to put up with a Windows world, then that’s OK.” was bulls**t. It will not be possible to run windows on the new iMac or other Macs without VPC or other emulators.
So, I get a very fast machine able to do...???:confused: or I can buy the tested and great iMac with a 64bit G5 with all my apps. working (vs. dual 32bit Intel untested without apps.)
Personally I have a bad feeling about this.;) :p :D :)
But seriously - I don`t think that people who need the Mac for more than web should buy this version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.