Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaspio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Hi all,

I have a 2018(2020?) Intel Mac Mini i5 with 32gb ram. It does everything I need, and hardly ever hangs. If it does it’s usually the app itself that hangs.

It’s been a fine setup since I’ve been working from home since I purchased it. However, with things calming down in my country in regards to the pandemic, I may have to go back into the office a couple times a week from October.

I could carry the Mac mini in, but could see that being a slight pain.

I was considering two options:

1. Selling the Mac mini later in the year for however much I can get, and buying a new 16” MBP whenever that is released. This would act as my desktop and laptop since I can just plug it into my monitor at home.
  2. Keep the Mac mini since it does the job, and purchase an iPad Pro 12.9. Using this I could remote into the Mac mini on those couple days a week I have to be portable. I’ve seen various apps that do this and it seems to be stable enough to use.

I always picture myself going to a cafe or library to work in a new environment, but I know when I had my old MacBook I never did this ?, so perhaps that’s just a fantasy.

I think both are solid options so that’s why I am torn. Could do with any insights from you all!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ah should have mentioned that. Programming in Java and python.
If you wouldn't need to transfer files back and forth from the iPad to the Mac, you could use "JumpDesktop" to remote into the mini. I use my iPad Pro to remote into my mini. It is fast and the GUI is very nice. I contacted JD not long ago about file transfer support and they are working on that ability.

I can see and access everything on my mini as if I was in person. I can also play videos etc.

Kaspio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
If you wouldn't need to transfer files back and forth from the iPad to the Mac, you could use "JumpDesktop" to remote into the mini. I use my iPad Pro to remote into my mini. It is fast and the GUI is very nice. I contacted JD not long ago about file transfer support and they are working on that ability
Wow thanks for the reply! That’s what I was actually looking into since I don’t need to transfer files.
Would you say it’s fluid enough for the two or so days a week I might need to go in?
Also are you on a 12.9 or 11? WiFi or LTE?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wow thanks for the reply! That’s what I was actually looking into since I don’t need to transfer files.
Would you say it’s fluid enough for the two or so days a week I might need to go in?
Also are you on a 12.9 or 11? WiFi or LTE?
It has been very fluid and fast for me. I have a 11" iPad Pro 2020. I think it would work great for you. In my opinion, it is the best remote desktop you can use.

Kaspio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
And getting the iPad would save me a lot rather than getting a new MacBook Pro.
Does it work well over WiFi? Or is lte needed?
I think I may go for the 12.9 for the extra screen space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.