Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
My son (over 18) is currently a member of our family sharing. We have the 200GB iCloud storage plan.

I want to allow him to purchase his own 200GB plan, but still remain in the family sharing for everything else.

Is this possible? Do we just purchase the storage on his phone and all his iCloud data will move over to his storage?

Thanks.

AMB12686

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2017
Utah
This should be possible. My wife were on family sharing (ie Apple Music Family) but for a long time each had our own iCloud storage. I now use Apple One with the shared 2 TB pool but I see no reason why you can't have your own iCloud storage and be on, for instance, shared photo library. Regardless, this should be very easy to test and revert if it doesn't work

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I don't have access to my devices right now to check sorry, but can't you go in and select what is shared and if the storage or icloud is an option turning that off may allow him to do his own storage plan

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks everyone. Really easy process. On his phone we just went into storage and went to change the plan. It made us Stop Family sharing for storage and then immediately gave us the screen to choose his own plan.

The data (88GB) instantly went into his new iCloud storage and was removed from our family plan.

Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.