Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
When I went to Barcelona a couple of months ago I pulled my verizon sim and replaced with a prepaid, data-only sim. I couldn't iMessage anyone. Is there a way to keep iMessage alive after pulling my sim when traveling abroad?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
iMessage via phone number/SMS-style can't work as with the switch of the SIM you change your identity. If you use iMessage with eMail-ID those would continue working. But of course only inside the Apple Family.

Which way you use iMessage normally ?

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
What do you mean you couldn't iMessage anyone? What error message were you getting? It should work the same as your regular SIM. It just changes your phone number to the new phone number in Messages settings. It should work pretty seamlessly. I've done it myself several times.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
iMessage via phone number/SMS-style can't work as with the switch of the SIM you change your identity. If you use iMessage with eMail-ID those would continue working. But of course only inside the Apple Family.

Which way you use iMessage normally ?

I have it set to my domestic phone number on my iPhone, iPad and MBP.

----------

What do you mean you couldn't iMessage anyone? What error message were you getting? It should work the same as your regular SIM. It just changes your phone number to the new phone number in Messages settings. It should work pretty seamlessly. I've done it myself several times.

I couldn't message anyone using the data only SIM. It literally wouldn't go through.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Keep iMessage working when traveling abroad?

Hmm. I can use iMessage from my phone number even without a sim.what you're describing should work.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
So once I land and put the data only SIM in and add the APN info, it should work as normal?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So once I land and put the data only SIM in and add the APN info, it should work as normal?

I'm fairly certain you need to go to Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive and check start new conversations from the email address. That way you can continue to use iMessage. You're contacts will need your email address under your contact on their phone to know who is messaging them, otherwise it will show an iMessage from just an email address.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I'm fairly certain you need to go to Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive and check start new conversations from the email address. That way you can continue to use iMessage. You're contacts will need your email address under your contact on their phone to know who is messaging them, otherwise it will show an iMessage from just an email address.

This also works to get around people blocking you.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You may have to activate the sim before it works. All of the ones I've used in Hong Kong required that before they'd start working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.