Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Just got an LG Ultrawide curved monitor. Since Best Buy has a crappy way of displaying monitors, I chose to order it and test it out.

Return-By Date is Thursday, June 30.

In short, I like width of the screen (for music editing, video editing, and side-by-side apps)

...but don't like image quality - sketchy contrast, plus I new it wouldn't be as crisp as an Apple display. Also, on the fence about the curvature.

Are there any recommended settings for improving image quality?
When I manually adjust the monitor's settings, they're slightly better, but not great.

I was able to get this on sale for $380 + tax at Best Buy two weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

James Gryphon

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
I don't know much about that particular monitor, but speaking generally, my suspicion is that what you see is probably about what you are going to end up with. We can expect the default is intended to show off the monitor's best qualities (since otherwise, it wouldn't impress at the showroom and people wouldn't buy the monitor in the first place). If it's bad now, I personally wouldn't hope for any preference tweaks to make it significantly better.

The return-by date is for people who are not 'fully satisfied' with their purchase. You've had two weeks to adjust and try to get used to the monitor's differences, and it sounds like you're still not satisfied. Now you have a short window of opportunity to recoup your cost.

Your options are to get about $380 back and have the chance to find something you'll definitely like, or to be stuck with it and hope that you either warm up to it or find a fix for its worst issues.

I understand it's awkward to return products, but from a distance, it sounds like you'll probably be most satisfied doing that.

Last edited:

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
The last high end LG UW I got I paid $1600, just for a perspective. I mean - you shouldn't really expect Apple's XDR quality at your price range. What you got sounds like sRGB 1080p 34'' monitor with double digit refresh rate, and that it awesome for the price. Just have realistic expectations. If you think you can do better - return and get another one.

Reactions: Jodeo

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I've decided to keep it after recalibrating it.

For this price, I'm not going to do as good, though I'd probably prefer a non-curved monitor (since I don't game).

Just need to get a decent set of speakers for it. And, preferable, an easy-to-connect dock (wish there was a Magsafe-esque quick connection option).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.