Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathiasgyjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Hi All

Just got new Mac mini and Im trying to figure out whether I need a new 4k monitor. Ive always used the Thunderbolt 2 display with my old Mac mini, but I went out and bought a LG 4K IPS 27UD58 monitor which I'm currently using side by side. I don't know that I can tell a difference between the two, Im a Realtor so I only really use computer for back office stuff (MS Word, Excel, web browsing of pics of houses, etc.). As far as any digital picture work, I take pics of the houses with my iPhone and upload into photos and work with them from there. Or hire a photograph to shoot my listings. No real need to do any drastic photo editing.

The short of my question is I feel like I can save the $300 and ride the old monitor out, either until it dies, or Apple comes out with a new. But worried I'm missing something? Any ideas/thoughts?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
If you load a 100dpi image onto a 100dpi screen and then load a 100dpi image on to a 200dpi screen, they are going to look largely the same. Images need more pixels for the 4k screen to look better. And chances are your buyers are viewing listings with retina equipped cell phones. So if your photos are 4x larger, your listings will look better than competing listings, provided the web site(s) can handle the change.

But if even the interface (including text) looks the same then you literally can't see the improvement and are wasting money for a feature you can't enjoy, at least personally.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I don't know that I can tell a difference between the two..."

Then keep on using the older one for now.
Displays get better all the time.

When the old one gives out, then "buy new"...

Reactions: RecentlyConverted

mathiasgyjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Going to just ride the ol'thunderbolt out--that is unless Apple comes out with something better that I don't need :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.