Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Kinda feels like New Year's, with everyone looking up at the top of their screens for the count[up].

Well, we're into the 2nd half of the countdown...this half should get interesting.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It updates at 5 minute intervals, as does Apple's coundown timer in the pink section to the right on this page: http://www.apple.com/itunes/100million/

I noticed that from the last interval before 97.5 million to the first interval over that, the change was 2968. That 97.5 million is a number divisible by 100 thousand between 95 and 100 million, so people do make submissions to attempt to win an iPod. But I did some recalculating, in which I took the finite change of the number of entries from 12:57est. to the most recent update at 14:57 (the count then was 97 552 402, about halfway between one hundred thousand markers), and divided that by the finite change of 120 minutes. In mathematical terms, I did the following

avg. change in entries (E) = ∆E/∆t

I came up with an avg. 436.108 new entries per minute. That means for every update interval of 5 minutes, on avg. during 12:57est and 14:57est, 2180.54 entries were added. That number is only 73.468% of the change in the number of entries from the last interval before 97.5 million to the first interval over 97.5mil.

This, I conclude that the rate in which the number of entries submitted around every one hundred thousand increases. So if you're going to do the tell a friend, be quick.

BTW: Doctor Q, you're not the only one doing the math around here.

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I doubt that number is accurate even when you get the number right when it changes. I doubt the front page would be linked to their sales database. There's probably a couple of layers of systems it has to go through before it gets there and surely they might have made it so that people can't "cheat" to win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.