Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Mac desktop should I get?

• Total voters

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have 2 older Mac desktops that although I do use them, I seem to spend much more time using my MacBook pro's, basically because I like not being tied to a desk, since I work from home and tend to put more unnecessary effort into the job since there are multiple people on the disaster response team with my emergency management agency, if I am sitting at a desk. I like being able to either stretch out in my recliner with the tv on while doing the work or laying on my couch doing something for the job, especially since I recently got my 2017 MacBook pro that is an awesome laptop. However you cannot go wrong with a Mac mini, if you want to keep costs down, or an iMac, I have both, my iMac is from 2009 and with OCLP it is running macOS Sonoma, and I have a 2014 Mac mini that is running macOS Monterey simply because it only has 4gb of ram, I also have a 2010 MacBook Pro that thru OCLP is also running macOS Sonoma and was used every day until this past Monday when I found an awesome deal on my 2017 MacBook Pro at the place I was having my iPhone battery replaced at.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I have 2 older Mac desktops that although I do use them, I seem to spend much more time using my MacBook pro's, basically because I like not being tied to a desk, since I work from home and tend to put more unnecessary effort into the job since there are multiple people on the disaster response team with my emergency management agency, if I am sitting at a desk. I like being able to either stretch out in my recliner with the tv on while doing the work or laying on my couch doing something for the job, especially since I recently got my 2017 MacBook pro that is an awesome laptop. However you cannot go wrong with a Mac mini, if you want to keep costs down, or an iMac, I have both, my iMac is from 2009 and with OCLP it is running macOS Sonoma, and I have a 2014 Mac mini that is running macOS Monterey simply because it only has 4gb of ram, I also have a 2010 MacBook Pro that thru OCLP is also running macOS Sonoma and was used every day until this past Monday when I found an awesome deal on my 2017 MacBook Pro at the place I was having my iPhone battery replaced at.
Do you keep on updating your OCLP Macs on Sonoma every time an update happens? I have a 2018 15" MBP, which might not get an update to macOS 15. Then, I'll go with OCLP.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I reallly appreciatie the reccomendation to go for a one Mac setup. after reading all the comments, for me it makes the most sense to go for the one Mac setup. And I think it is pretty convenient. I was worried about it being docked for multiple hours sometimes, but many people here say it won't be a problem and I have never had any heat issues.

I was actuallly thinking about doing a clean install on my Mac for a while now, because I have been using it for more than 2 years almost daily, and never have done a clean install.

What would be the best way to do this? Ofcourse, I want to get rid of all the temp files, cached files and other files I don't need, but I don't want to lose my important files. Do I make a Time Machine backup and erase the Mac? Will that get rid of the temp and cached files?
I typically copy the critical data over to a drive or NAS. Also, I am creating a full clone with SuperDuper!, then reinstall the OS. I start with a clean slate, download the iCloud data and install my software manually.
During my last reinstall I took some notes to make it easier to know which settings to change and what to install from where. Also make sure to have license codes handy for the clean install.

If I notice that I missed something important, I go and boot the SuperDuper! version or directly retrieve the files out of the clone.

Reactions: AppleFan.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Do you keep on updating your OCLP Macs on Sonoma every time an update happens? I have a 2018 15" MBP, which might not get an update to macOS 15. Then, I'll go with OCLP.
The ones I have that are using OCLP I updated to 14.4.1 when OCLP did their update for the non metal mac's, just to see what it added if anything. My 2017 that I just got, I will probably wait until macOS 15, if it still includes intel machines, and OCLP has a patch for it, otherwise this one will stay on Ventura, or maybe Sonoma if not macOS 15.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I typically copy the critical data over to a drive or NAS. Also, I am creating a full clone with SuperDuper!, then reinstall the OS. I start with a clean slate, download the iCloud data and install my software manually.
During my last reinstall I took some notes to make it easier to know which settings to change and what to install from where. Also make sure to have license codes handy for the clean install.

If I notice that I missed something important, I go and boot the SuperDuper! version or directly retrieve the files out of the clone.
Thank you! I will try reinstalling macOS in a few days after I am done with a project. I'll let you know how it went and if I have any questions.

Reactions: rocketbuc

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
@applefan, happy to provide you additional details and support if you have specific questions about the clean install.
I did the clean install today and my Mac is a bit snappier. nothing major, but noticeable. Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the problem with my external Magic Keyboard (something I mentioned in another post) is still there. But that could be a problem with the keyboard itself.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
Unfortunately, the problem with my external Magic Keyboard (something I mentioned in another post) is still there. But that could be a problem with the keyboard itself.
Make the Mac forget the Magic Keyboard in System settings > Bluetooth, that is, disconnect it from the Mac, then reboot your Mac and reconnect the Magic Keyboard.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Make the Mac forget the Magic Keyboard in System settings > Bluetooth, that is, disconnect it from the Mac, then reboot your Mac and reconnect the Magic Keyboard.
I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, I have already tried forgetting and disconnecting the keyboard. I have even reset the bluetooth module, but the issue still persists.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, I have already tried forgetting and disconnecting the keyboard. I have even reset the bluetooth module, but the issue still persists.
Then it could be a physical problem with the keyboard. Maybe you should try it with someone else's Mac, just to be sure.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I did the whole "docked laptop" set up for a few years and grew to hate it. Even with the great docks and one-cable Thunderbolt connections we have now, there's just too much friction involved with mounting/unmounting drives and stuff.

I have a lot better time these days with an iMac for heavy lifting, and a MacBook Air which handles less taxing stuff and is generally ready to grab and throw into my backpack. The iMac is usually on and doubles as a media server to play video over Home Sharing to my Apple TV.

So, my vote is "get a desktop". If your M1 Air is handling your work ok now, I woudn't think you need to go too crazy with specs. I'd get 16 GB of RAM for future needs, and if you're looking to cut corners it's relatively painless to plug in a USB or Thunderbolt drive instead of getting a big internal SSD from Apple.

Last edited:

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I did the whole "docked laptop" set up for a few years and grew to hate it. Even with the great docks and one-cable Thunderbolt connections we have now, there's just too much friction involved with mounting/unmounting drives and stuff.

I have a lot better time these days with an iMac for heavy lifting, and MacBook Air which handles less taxing stuff and is generally ready to grab and throw into my backpack. The iMac is usually on and doubles as a media server to play video over Home Sharing to my Apple TV.
For now using my MacBook both as dekstop and laptop has been working out pretty good. And alot of people here have recommended me to stay using my MacBook as both dekstop and laptop. I do see the appeal of desktops though. that's why I am thinking about getting one. If I do decide on getting a desktop, what model and configuration would you recommend based on my use case?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
For now using my MacBook both as dekstop and laptop has been working out pretty good. And alot of people here have recommended me to stay using my MacBook as both dekstop and laptop. I do see the appeal of desktops though. that's why I am thinking about getting one. If I do decide on getting a desktop, what model and configuration would you recommend based on my use case?
If your use case is staying the same, I'd just get the second option you list: M2 Pro Mini. 16 GB RAM should perform just fine now and probably for some time to come. The Studio seems like more than you need?

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
If your use case is staying the same, I'd just get the second option you list: M2 Pro Mini. 16 GB RAM should perform just fine now and probably for some time to come. The Studio seems like more than you need?
I think the M2 Pro mini with 16gb would be enough for me. The reason I put the Studio on the list is because I like keeping desktops for a while, so I feel like the 32GB and the better chip would be more future proof. I know I can upgrade the M2 Pro mini to 32GB. But when I do that, the price will be almost the same as the Studio.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I think the M2 Pro mini with 16gb would be enough for me. The reason I put the Studio on the list is because I like keeping desktops for a while, so I feel like the 32GB and the better chip would be more future proof. I know I can upgrade the M2 Pro mini to 32GB. But when I do that, the price will be almost the same as the Studio.
Yeah, that's a weird overlap. If you spec out the Mini that far, I guess it makes sense to just jump up to the Studio. All depends on budget, really. It's really easy to just keep talking yourself into spending more money 😂

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Yeah, that's a weird overlap. If you spec out the Mini that far, I guess it makes sense to just jump up to the Studio. All depends on budget, really. It's really easy to just keep talking yourself into spending more money 😂
An M2 Pro-equipped Mac Mini with 32 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD, the configuration I'm eyeing, would cost $1900. That's a hundred dollars less than the base-line Mac Studio, also with 32 GB of RAM but a 512 GB SSD. Upgrade that to 1 TB, and it'll be $2200. So at least I'll save $300 this way; I also don't need the power of the Max chip; the Pro would be sufficient enough for me.

Reactions: ignatius345

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I think there is no right or wrong here. Both setups have their respective advantages and drawbacks.

At the end, it depends one need to decide to "choose your problems". If you dock your laptop, the one machine setup simplifies files management but is also a single point of failure + the price for larger storage is at Apple premium. The two-computer setup increases convenience but needs more file management, two upgrade cycles, and probably higher cost.

Reactions: dandeco

1969tgb

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
For my desk, my work laptop is a Dell Precision 15" and that's plugged into the Targus dock, with all the peripherals plugged either into the dock or to the USB hub I have Velcro'd to the underside of the stand. My employer supplied the Dell laptop, the 24" monitor and the Targus dock. And I pretty much swap out my machine and keyboard.

For my personal MacBook setups... My main laptop is a MacBook Air- running the same USB C connection to the Targus dock. I'm running Display Link so I do have 2 monitors and the LT display. I also have 2 older MacBook Pros- they're connected with a MagSafe connection, then peripherals are plugged into the USB hub- disconnected from the Targus dock and connected to the laptop, and the displays are connected via Mini DP directly to the monitors. So the older laptops don't actually hit the dock.

I find while I use 3 monitors for work- I really don't for most personal use.

My secret long range plan is to get a/some bigger monitors... maybe a 32... keep the 24 or get a 27... IDK...

Desk April 2024 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

As far as using a laptop closed for long periods... So I do IT at a large hospital- around the beginning of Covid, we started replacing a majority of desktops with laptops, docks and monitors. (around the same time we heavily upgraded our wireless infrastructure- I think the point was to not rely on Cat5/6 in the walls for individual drops). The vast majority of people have the laptops just closed and tucked behind the monitors, but some people have them laying down, some people even have them closed with the monitors sitting on top of them!!! (despite being told specifically not to do that). The great majority of those 3-4+ year old Dell and HP Windows laptops, running 24 hours a day in less than ideal conditions are still doing fine.

AlekseyS

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
Hello,

if desktop space allows - maybe it makes sense to continue to use Laptop, but replace it with something more powerful; So it should work fine with external display and harder tasks, no need to think about sync files. Maybe MBP M3 is good for this (no need for Pro/Max, just M3 is good enough), but with higher RAM 16 at least. Maybe the latest MBA M3 which was just updated some months ago is also good (with 16+ RAM).

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
For my desk, my work laptop is a Dell Precision 15" and that's plugged into the Targus dock, with all the peripherals plugged either into the dock or to the USB hub I have Velcro'd to the underside of the stand. My employer supplied the Dell laptop, the 24" monitor and the Targus dock. And I pretty much swap out my machine and keyboard.

For my personal MacBook setups... My main laptop is a MacBook Air- running the same USB C connection to the Targus dock. I'm running Display Link so I do have 2 monitors and the LT display. I also have 2 older MacBook Pros- they're connected with a MagSafe connection, then peripherals are plugged into the USB hub- disconnected from the Targus dock and connected to the laptop, and the displays are connected via Mini DP directly to the monitors. So the older laptops don't actually hit the dock.

I find while I use 3 monitors for work- I really don't for most personal use.

My secret long range plan is to get a/some bigger monitors... maybe a 32... keep the 24 or get a 27... IDK...

As far as using a laptop closed for long periods... So I do IT at a large hospital- around the beginning of Covid, we started replacing a majority of desktops with laptops, docks and monitors. (around the same time we heavily upgraded our wireless infrastructure- I think the point was to not rely on Cat5/6 in the walls for individual drops). The vast majority of people have the laptops just closed and tucked behind the monitors, but some people have them laying down, some people even have them closed with the monitors sitting on top of them!!! (despite being told specifically not to do that). The great majority of those 3-4+ year old Dell and HP Windows laptops, running 24 hours a day in less than ideal conditions are still doing fine.
Thank you for sharing your advice! I think I should be fine with using my laptop docked.

I've noticed that you have the same keyboard that I do, and I'm experiencing some issues with it. I've posted about it on MacRumors. Would you mind taking a look at my post about the keyboard and letting me know if you're experiencing the same problem?

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Hello,

if desktop space allows - maybe it makes sense to continue to use Laptop, but replace it with something more powerful; So it should work fine with external display and harder tasks, no need to think about sync files. Maybe MBP M3 is good for this (no need for Pro/Max, just M3 is good enough), but with higher RAM 16 at least. Maybe the latest MBA M3 which was just updated some months ago is also good (with 16+ RAM).
I would benefit from 16GB RAM or more, but it's definitely not a need. That's why I think it's best to continue using my M1 Air and wait to see what Apple will release this year. Maybe M4 MacBooks would be nice to upgrade to, considering the improvements they might bring.

Reactions: dandeco

Squirrrrel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2024
I’ve been using an M1 Air as a desktop/laptop for almost 3 years now, but I have 16 GB of RAM. I haven’t had any issues, and 5 months ago, I upgraded my monitor to a 49” super ultrawide OLED display (the Samsung G9) and my productivity has skyrocketed. I would wait until the new MacBooks are announced and upgrade then if you really need to. The new MacBooks are basically replacement desktops at this point, and there’s nothing quite like being able to unplug your “desktop” and take it with you whenever you want with all day battery life. After much fudging and testing a million different adapters, cables, and accessories, I managed to be able to connect my gigantic display, a million peripherals, charge my laptop, and use Ethernet, all with just the two measly Thunderbolt ports that the M1 Air has.

Last edited:

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I’ve been using an M1 Air as a desktop/laptop for almost 3 years now, but I have 16 GB of RAM. I haven’t had any issues, and 5 months ago, I upgraded my monitor to a 49” super ultrawide OLED display (the Samsung G9) and my productivity has skyrocketed. I would wait until the new MacBooks are announced and upgrade then if you really need to. The new MacBooks are basically replacement desktops at this point, and there’s nothing quite like being able to unplug your “desktop” and take it with you whenever you want with all day battery life. After much fudging and testing a million different adapters, cables, and accessories, I managed to be able to connect my gigantic display, a million peripherals, charge my laptop, and use Ethernet, all with just the two measly Thunderbolt ports that the M1 Air has.
Wow that sounds like an awesome display! I hope the new MacBooks will be a big improvement, but I'll have to wait and see.

Have you noticed any lags on your M1 Air? like slight delays when switching apps or delays when bringing up menus from the menubar?

Squirrrrel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2024
Wow that sounds like an awesome display! I hope the new MacBooks will be a big improvement, but I'll have to wait and see.

Have you noticed any lags on your M1 Air? like slight delays when switching apps or delays when bringing up menus from the menubar?
No, I have zero lag. I also run my monitor at 240 Hz. I think the lag might be caused by your 8 GB of RAM. And yes, the monitor is amazing. You might consider disabling Transparency and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.