Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I got my first Apple Watch on 24/4, but returned it a week later. There were a number of reasons for this but I guess one of them was that I didn't really get how to use the watch. Now that I've ordered another ("preparing for dispatch" - woot!) I'm thinking about how to use it to suit me.

I think the key is simplicity. So I have some thoughts/questions:

1. First time round my screen was cluttered with complications. I love the look of the chrono screen, but it has redundant dials and four complications. Are they really necessary? I've seen some minimalist watch faces and they look elegant - and are so much easier to read the time without being distracted.

2. Glances are a great idea but, again, are they really necessary? I ended up swiping through screens to get to the one I wanted. I used them because they were there rather than because I needed them.

3. Apps. Why have apps on a watch? I don't get it. Some people have posted photos of the app screen and they've got dozens.

4. Notifications. These drove me a little crazy, to be honest. Being pinged at and tapped on, while my iPhone is also pinging and vibrating and sometimes my laptop, too.

It seems to me that (for me) the watch should be used for things my phone can't do, or doesn't do well. Is there any point in me having Dark Sky on my watch when it's on my phone, too, for example?

Ultimately all I really want is a nice-looking watch. The rest is either bonus, unnecessary clutter, or irritation. I'm still trying to figure out which.

mkeith813

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
I got my first Apple Watch on 24/4, but returned it a week later. There were a number of reasons for this but I guess one of them was that I didn't really get how to use the watch. Now that I've ordered another ("preparing for dispatch" - woot!) I'm thinking about how to use it to suit me.

1. First time round my screen was cluttered with complications. I love the look of the chrono screen, but it has redundant dials and four complications. Are they really necessary? I've seen some minimalist watch faces and they look elegant - and are so much easier to read the time without being distracted.

2. Glances are a great idea but, again, are they really necessary? I ended up swiping through screens to get to the one I wanted. I used them because they were there rather than because I needed them.

3. Apps. Why have apps on a watch? I don't get it. Some people have posted photos of the app screen and they've got dozens.

4. Notifications. These drove me a little crazy, to be honest. Being pinged at and tapped on, while my iPhone is also pinging and vibrating and sometimes my laptop, too.

It seems to me that (for me) the watch should be used for things my phone can't do, or doesn't do well. Is there any point in me having Dark Sky on my watch when it's on my phone, too, for example?

Ultimately all I really want is a nice-looking watch. The rest is either bonus, unnecessary clutter, or irritation. I'm still trying to figure out which.

Sounds to me like you're not in the market for a smart watch then....

Betsy30

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
With respect to complications some (if not all) have options, including turning them off completely. I'm using the simple watch, which can have 4 complications. I turned two of them off. The others I changed to show what I want. Just use the digital crown to scroll through the options.

Same with Glances, you can remove all of them except Settings.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
4. Notifications. These drove me a little crazy, to be honest. Being pinged at and tapped on, while my iPhone is also pinging and vibrating and sometimes my laptop, too....

The two most important reasons for me to buy the Apple Watch, or any other smart watch to begin with! Yes my laptop and iPhone can tell me about the notifications, but with phones growing bigger and bigger - I don't like keeping it on my hand all the time and lighting up everywhere. It's easier to have it tap/vibrate on my wrist for me to take a quick glance for the specific notifications that I set them up for.

But as the others said - it is entirely possible to shut all these off if you want the watch just as a fashion accessory than a partner for your phone. =)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I would give anything if my phone still sounded off while using my watch as I could barely feel the tap and the little ding is weaker.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA

I agree and think that your idea of the use of the watch is pretty much how it should be.

In reference to your list;

1) I use the Utility watch face. It's very easy to see the time. However I have a few complications on it that I like having at a glance, they are Calander- I love having this on the face, it really helps remind me of what I have to do next. Temp- I like knowing what the temp is. And I also have the stop watch on there. It's not absolutely necessary for me but I do use the timer fairly frequently so having it on the face for me is useful.

2) the only thing I go into glances for are to check my battery meter (which I do very infrequently as I have no battery issues) and the activity tracker, just to see where I'm at out of curiosity. And I have weather in my glances also, it's nice to see what the extended forecast is occasionally when making future plans.

3) apps- I completely agree with you there, why would you want apps on the watch? However, I do have one, CNN and I get notifications from it. I like to try and keep up with major events, and the little snippets it gives you on the watch is usually enough for me. If desired I'll read the full story on my phone or iPad.

4) notifications- here I disagree with you. First off, when my watch is on my wrist my phone does NOTHING when a notification comes through, that's how I have it set. I also have the sound off on my watch, tap only. I love this feature as it doesn't disrupt anyone else, and even more pleasing for me not to hear that damn DING!!

I get 10-30 text/email/phone calls etc. notifications a day, it's really nice to just glance at my watch and decide if it needs immediate attention or if it can wait. And to me, that is so much more convenient than pulling out my phone to find out.

I find that one of the nicest features of the AW is the fact that it shows the TIME!! Lol. Honestly, I have been so much better about being on time for things now that there's a clock right there on my wrist!!

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I agree and disagree.

Complications: They can be distracting to me also (I use the chronograph face), however they're are some complications that I find very useful. For example, I've done the trick to add a digital clock to an analog face. This way I can quickly glance at the exact time, instead of having to read the analog face. Also, I find the date complication to be very useful.

Glances: I wish they scrolled up/down, so I could use the digital crown. I totally agree that swiping through all of the pages can be a little tedious. However, I tend to only use one or two, so I keep it set on those. That way I only have to swipe left or right once.

Apps: I love the Dark Sky app, it's actually one that I have set in my "glances" that way I can just swipe up and see detailed weather. I also have the Workflow app setup to get the RSS feeds of my local news and favorite sites, that way I can see the current 5 topics, without even reaching for my phone. Super useful!

Notifications: I'm surprised by how many people are actually annoyed by this! I love having it on my arm, as I almost always miss calls/texts/emails when my phone is in my pocket. If you don't like all the notifications, I suggest turning most off, and using it for only the really important ones. Or, do the opposite, get your important notifications on your phone/computer, while you get your unimportant (occasional) notifications on your watch.

L701

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
I think that the Apple Watch is all about Notifications, if you don't want to be notified about everything that happens on your iPhone you can turn off most of the Notifications on the Apple Watch, then you only get the most important Notifications on your wrist.
If you don't want to be notified by your Watch at all the Smartwatch market might not be yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.