Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which GPU would you recommend for an early 2009 MacPro?

• Sapphire 7950

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • GTX 980 for Mac

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Keep the QuadroFX 4800 because it can be upgraded to run Ultrawides

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

CyberGolem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Hello,
So I own an Early 2009 MacPro that I'd like to keep going. It currently hosts a QuadroFX 4800 GPU, but I'm not sure how to get any more out of it. My problem is that it won't fully run my current monitor setup ::
  • Apple 30" Cinema Display 2560 x 1600
  • Samsung 34" Ultrawide 3440 x 1440
Surprisingly the Quadro handles both these monitors at their native resolutions, but there are issues with the Ultrawide. There's no problem with the Cinema Display at all (it has a traditional aspect ratio), but the new Ultrawide has blurry and aliased looking text. I've messed with a bunch of knobs and bobbins, changing the refresh rate to 30Hz makes the text legible but still unacceptable. So a few questions ::
  1. Is there an update for the Quadro that I'm missing? I've been to the Nvidia site but everything I can make out says the card is up to date and has the latest blah-blah-blahs.
  2. Will upgrading to a Sapphire 7950 or a GTX 980 work with my monitor configuration? I'm mostly interested in getting this new Ultrawide to play nice at its max refresh rate.
Lastly, I bootcamp Windows 10 for games and such, so I'm looking to have it work in both churches. Any help and/or constructive opinions are welcome.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Pretty sure the 980 can do much better than 7950 in most area, especially Win 10 gaming.

Sine you said that will be a "for Mac" 980, so I assume you mean that's flashed and no need to deal with the "black screen" issue.

However, if you need recovery partiton for any reason, be careful that you may not able to access it with the 980 in Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.