Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
There’s been some videos on YouTube about this dock including this one from macrumors

I’d be interested to know what iPad Pro power users think. Is this something you would consider getting?

Personally, I’ve been using my iPad Pro more and more for work (office related work) and I think this may be interesting in a work from home setup

shando

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I would like a stand to mount my iPad Pro sometimes. But the Kensington one looks too big and heavy. And it's way too expensive.

Reactions: Isengardtom

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I would definitely consider it if I only used my iPad AND I used the ports/Qi a lot in my daily routine. Remember you have to factor in a keyboard and mouse in the cost but I think if you have an iPad as your only device this could really be the full solution for a central Apple hub - if that makes sense i.e. get rid of all other chargers/docks etc

At that point then the price is justifiable and the stand is really being utilised.

I could see routine where you use this daily, you pop your iPhone on it to charge, along with your Air Pod Pros case, charge up your watch while siting at your desk. Use external storage daily, have to switch between portrait and landscape for work (which I could definitely benefit from). This would be very productive, at the end of the day un-clip the iPad from the dock and use it a tablet. Real versatility - which is what the iPad absolutely shines at.

The only word of caution I would have right now is hanging on to see if the next gen of iPad Pros work with it if they have thunderbolt ports on them - in terms of taking advantage of the tech.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
It's TOO expensive for what it is.

I understand why it's expensive, but it's expensive.

For my use cases, it's positioning for drawing on the tablet is awkward. Which shoots 50% of my use of the iPP. Which makes the expense even harder to accept.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016

https://www.imore.com/psa-kensington-studiodock-wont-fit-your-new-2021-129-inch-ipad-pro

Updated to say it will not be compatible with the 2021 IPP 12.9.

Tough pill to swallow for those looking to upgrade (probably most of the folks who ordered the stand lol).

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
How is this .5mm difference making such an impact on all these cases/accessories?
Looking at this stand/accessory - there is a part which looks like it holds the iPad in place where the USB C connector is (on the iPad), reckon that is a snug fit so extra depth with either mean it won’t fit in or the USB C connector will not be aligned.

The new IPP has a TB connector (as opposed to USB C) so I would imagine there will be a new stand to take advantage of that.

Reactions: JayMysterio

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Looking at this stand/accessory - there is a part which looks like it holds the iPad in place where the USB C connector is (on the iPad), reckon that is a snug fit so extra depth with either mean it won’t fit in or the USB C connector will not be aligned.

The new IPP has a TB connector (as opposed to USB C) so I would imagine there will be a new stand to take advantage of that.
Boy, I hope so. I really want a 2021 version for my desk. Especially, if iPadOS 15 brings better monitor support.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

Yea Kensington has announced this stand is not compatible with the XDR iPad Pro and a new one is in the works to work with the new iPad.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I don’t think the incompatibility is just about the dimensions.

I went to their website to buy a dock for my new 11” iPad Pro and it said that the 11” version isn’t compatible with the new 11” M1 iPad Pros. The dimensions for the 2020 vs 2021 11” Pro are identical.

Could this be about upgrading the docks to support the Thunderbolt level ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.