Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltinsley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
This morning I noticed my MacBook Air (2014, running Sierra) was not going to sleep when I shut the lid. Thinking it needed a simple restart, I hit the power button. When I attempted to turn it back on, I got a kernel panic log message with "DontStealMacOS" in the description. (I apologize for my lack of technical lingo; I have very little knowledge in this area.) I was not able to start up in SafeMode. I tried the command+alt+P+R thing, waiting for the chime three times. My husband also put High Sierra on a bootable flash drive and tried to boot from that instead of the main hard drive. I was able to select the USB drive but it went back into a boot loop again instead of starting up (the flash drive worked on a different computer).

Is this a hardware issue? Am I in for paying a bunch of money?

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I would take it to an Apple Genius in the Apple Store, they have tools to test the hardware. There is a way for you to test the Mac hardware, but you need to google it. However, I think it is not the same as in the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.