Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Hi all.

I received my very first kernel panic 2 weeks ago on my over 3 year old Ti PB 15". My machine would boot up, and "x3d" would start, and then it would give me the "you must reboot error." I passed the hardware test on the cd and repaired my permissions several times via the installation cds to no avail. Then, I reset the PRAM and that did the trick: "x3d" didn't come up anymore.

A couple nights ago, however, I installed the latest iTunes 7 and upon reboot, had another kernel panic. "x3d" returned but this time, resetting the PRAM isn't working. I'm passing on the apple hardware cd as well.

However, I ran the TechTool cd and passed everything except the "volume structure" part. It gave me "failed error = -92."

Is my problem related to "X3D"? If so, what is it? Or, did iTunes 7 cause the kernel? I doubt that because it seems the new install caused X3D to come back. Or could I have a HDD problem/other hardware problem that these tools are not detecting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.