Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunce66

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
My iPhone 12 Pro is randomly freezing and shutting down 4-5X a day. Went to the Apple Store to get a repair and the Diagnostics said there are many kernel panics which are causing the problem and this is likely a hardware issue which cannot be repaired really. So, they recommend buying a new one and getting a $400 credit on a trade-in. Even after trade-in, a new one's gonna cost me around $500, so I hope to avoid the extra cost.

Another option the store Genius said was that I could try to erase everything and do a clean install of iOS, which might solve the problem, but it's unlikely. And in the process of restoring it might brick the phone, which would void the $400 trade-in value.

What does everyone here recommend:

1. Bite the bullet and get a new one with the $400 credit.
2. Take the chance that restoring the phone solves the issue (10% chance) while also risking the possibility that the restoration process ruins the phone's trade in value (maybe 2% chance)

I was hoping to get at least 4 years out of the phone, so it kinda sucks to have to drop more money on a phone while this one still feels kinda new. Thanks

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple store doesn’t even give the option to replace with an identical model? Or their quoted price simply doesn’t make any sense?
Either way, I’d go with biting the bullet and getting a new one if I were you. The phone is a tool after all. I don’t attach sentimental value on a tool that can be replaced or upgraded.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
If money is an issue why not go with an SE 2022 for now until the more repairable iPhones 15 make their debut, or another generation? The non-Pro iPhone 14 has a more repairable design, so hopefully the entire 15 line will follow suit.

You could also go with a 13 mini, which is far less of a compromise, and an excellent little phone—it will probably remain my primary device until Apple releases another truly compact iPhone. And now that Apple’s cut the price down a bit it’s an even sweeter deal.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
@bunce66 There's no consumer law in your region that you could use to get it fixed? 2 years before hardware failure isn't usual.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If money is an issue why not go with an SE 2022 for now until the more repairable iPhones 15 make their debut, or another generation? The non-Pro iPhone 14 has a more repairable design, so hopefully the entire 15 line will follow suit.

You could also go with a 13 mini, which is far less of a compromise, and an excellent little phone—it will probably remain my primary device until Apple releases another truly compact iPhone. And now that Apple’s cut the price down a bit it’s an even sweeter deal.
I was going to suggest the same. Additionally, OP could sell the current 12 for parts and at least get some money back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@bunce66 There's no consumer law in your region that you could use to get it fixed? 2 years before hardware failure isn't usual.
If OP is in the USA, then Apple's warranty is one year - two if they got AC+. But OP doesn't have AC+, because this thread would have been about having replaced the phone instead.

It would seem then that OP is outside of the warranty period.

bunce66

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
If OP is in the USA, then Apple's warranty is one year - two if they got AC+. But OP doesn't have AC+, because this thread would have been about having replaced the phone instead.

It would seem then that OP is outside of the warranty period.
Yeah, no Apple Care and it's about 2-3 months past the 2-year mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.