Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FNSY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f9d604deb): "virtual bool IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine::display_mode_did_change(uint32_t): Uninitialized NVIDIA GPU driver returns false"@/System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IOAcceleratorFamily_kexts/IOAcceleratorFamily-442.9/Kext2/IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine.cpp:267

A week ago I my MacBook pro experiences a kernel panic each time I open the computer (the panic data are shown above), I searched the internet and didn't find a solution but found only another thread with the similar issue.
The machine doesn't play the boot sound nor show the apple logo or light the screen but it auto-restarts it self in a couple of minutes and then works normally.
I tried booting into safe mode and clearing NVRAM but the issue is not solved.
If anybody knows a solution for this, please provide it.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Does the nVidia GPU in the machine work properly? If you run GPU intensive workloads or force on the dGPU do you get visual artefacts, crashes or other incorrect behaviour? Could you try running a GPU stress test?

FNSY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Does the nVidia GPU in the machine work properly? If you run GPU intensive workloads or force on the dGPU do you get visual artefacts, crashes or other incorrect behaviour? Could you try running a GPU stress test?
Yes, it is working fine.
The issue only appears when it I boot up the computer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 1.27.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 1.27.56 PM.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 1.35.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 1.35.05 PM.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 147

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yes, it is working fine.
The issue only appears when it I boot up the computer.
Hm. Interesting that Novabench has a D3D score under macOS..

Regardless, I see two possibilities. Hardware defect that only manifests itself under that condition or software. The way I see it your software troubleshooting options are to wait on updates and apply them, or/and reinstall macOS fresh.
I am out of other ideas. Maybe someone else will chip in who’ve had this happen on their machine

Nhat99

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f9d604deb): "virtual bool IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine::display_mode_did_change(uint32_t): Uninitialized NVIDIA GPU driver returns false"@/System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IOAcceleratorFamily_kexts/IOAcceleratorFamily-442.9/Kext2/IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine.cpp:267

A week ago I my MacBook pro experiences a kernel panic each time I open the computer (the panic data are shown above), I searched the internet and didn't find a solution but found only another thread with the similar issue.
The machine doesn't play the boot sound nor show the apple logo or light the screen but it auto-restarts it self in a couple of minutes and then works normally.
I tried booting into safe mode and clearing NVRAM but the issue is not solved.
If anybody knows a solution for this, please provide it.
try to install bigsur 11.5.2 is fixed for me dont update to 11.6 , hope this help for anyone have the same issue

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
I had the same issue with the exact same panic report. I recently noticed that my Graphic card details is not showing up on 'About this mac' modal. It only shows detail about my Intel graphics card along with other system details. Also, my fan screams loud all day long and its annoying.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 7.44.54 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 7.44.43 AM.png

I should have tried the solution mentioned by @Nhat99 above but sadly i updated from Mojave to BigSur latest one just yesterday ?‍♂️

Is there anything i can down without tearing out the PC?

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
Update:
Apple website mentions about checking activity monitor -> Energy tab to confirm if my mbp has a discrete graphics and to my surprise it doesn't have that tab even ?

1638067007182.png

I then turned of automatic switching as mentioned here to kinda force switch to use discrete graphics. Now in the GPU History i can see some matrix starts showing up in the NVIDIA one instead.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 8.02.39 AM.png

But the fan screaming doesn't cease yet.

I don't knew about stress test until when @casperes1996 mentioned it.Not sure if this is the right tool to test but here are the result with auto switching disabled and enabled
1638067701335.png
1638067920244.png

I want to know if auto switching works, so restarted Novabench after force closing it. Result seems to be improved this time.
1638068163552.png

But about my mac modal window still doesn't show up both the graphics, now it shows only the nvidia one even after enabling auto graphics switching.

The below 2 screenshots are
1. After closing Novabench
2. Restarting Novabench and running another test

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 8.33.10 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 8.35.10 AM.png

Instead of showing both the graphics details, it only shows the one which is currently in use

Btw this is the GPU history, those Skyscrapers are when i ran those stress test

1638068414851.png

I am gonna experiment with this setting. I am really looking forward on how this would boot up in the next try ?

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Update:
Apple website mentions about checking activity monitor -> Energy tab to confirm if my mbp has a discrete graphics and to my surprise it doesn't have that tab even ?

View attachment 1919120

I then turned of automatic switching as mentioned here to kinda force switch to use discrete graphics. Now in the GPU History i can see some matrix starts showing up in the NVIDIA one instead.

View attachment 1919123

But the fan screaming doesn't cease yet.

I don't knew about stress test until when @casperes1996 mentioned it.Not sure if this is the right tool to test but here are the result with auto switching disabled and enabled
View attachment 1919126 View attachment 1919131

I want to know if auto switching works, so restarted Novabench after force closing it. Result seems to be improved this time.
View attachment 1919137

But about my mac modal window still doesn't show up both the graphics, now it shows only the nvidia one even after enabling auto graphics switching.

Btw this is the GPU history, those 3 Skyscraper are when i ran the stress test 3 times

View attachment 1919143

I am gonna experiment with this setting. I am really looking forward on how this would boot up in the next try ?

The About My Mac screen only shows the currently active GPU. It has been like this for ages, maybe even forever.
I don't understand what you mean when you say your Activity Monitor doesn't have the energy tab. You're looking at it in your screenshot

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
The About My Mac screen only shows the currently active GPU. It has been like this for ages, maybe even forever.
I don't understand what you mean when you say your Activity Monitor doesn't have the energy tab. You're looking at it in your screenshot
- Since the time i brought this mac, it showed both the graphics and its only until recently it changed to show just one.
- I attached the screenshot with the Energy tab that doesn't have Requires High Per GPU column which should mean that the macbook has only one graphics but its actually not at least physically.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
- Since the time i brought this mac, it showed both the graphics and its only until recently it changed to show just one.
- I attached the screenshot with the Energy tab that doesn't have Requires High Per GPU column which should mean that the macbook has only one graphics but its actually not at least physically.
That's odd. Last I had a multi-GPU Mac it did it as it appears for you now

You have a column labelled "Graphics Card". Based on the fields in the column I would think that to be the same

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I hate to add to this thread, but while I was away having lunch my MBA KP'd and rebooted. These kernel panics are getting too regular to be just a "bug in the system".

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
Now after i updated to Big Sur, the behaviour has slightly changed but as @colourfastt mentioned, its getting more regular.

So previously, in Mojave, it would turn on and stay in black screen bit i see the keyboard backlight, so i assume that it is turned on and might be asking for the password. After entering it, i assume that the loading bar is running and eventually logs in. After that i press the shortcut key for restart, CMD + CTRL + POWER and it restarts. This avoids force restart and doesn't send any panic report.

But in Big Sur, it automatically force restarts on the first instance, so soon after it logs in i see the panic report bla bla. I must say it has worsened after the update.

So looks like the only way to find a solution is to send it for repair because it seems like a hardware issue.

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
Okay, looks like the issue is resolved. I read an article that says the issue can happen if you have limited free space on the hard disk, so out of curiosity decided to cleanup the unused apps and files and free some space. After that, it didn't show any such restart issues and panic report.

I don't remember exactly how much storage was available but the disk named OS didn't have much free space earlier.

This is the screenshot i took after the cleanup.

1638926223510.png

So far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.