Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I have lots of weird issues on my Mac Pro late 2013 since installing High Sierra, and they appear to be connected to the graphics cards or drivers (just my 1st theory).

I have 2x dell 5k Displays attached through dual Thunderbolt cables.
The first issue I had was one of them consistently only used one tb lane after booting, meaning that only one half of the 5k image was being stretched over the entire screen- not nice at all, got only resolved through power down, unplug power, reboot.

Next issue:
I was leaving the machine doing something, the displays went to Lowe saving mode, never turned back on again afterwards.

Next issue:
Today during a background file transfer, in order to prevent aforementioned issue, I turned power saving mode off and just let the screen saver on- what happened was the screensaver froze! I couldn’t even move my mouse anymore or somehow get the Mac to come back to showing any moving image- force reboot.

Next up:
I encoded a mov with QuickTime using HEVC. At the end of the encode I got my first ever kernel panic in 4 years!

Then I encoded another one HEVC with adobe media encoded and the same thing happened!
The files were fine each time though.

Very strange!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.