Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cucumberpanic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2022
Hi Macrumors!

I am a long time macOS user and have encountered something I never saw before.

I am using two external WesternDigital Drives since 2 years. One is a myBook and one a myBook Duo.
They are connected with USB.

Everything worked flawlessly. I used CarbonCopyCloner to automatically sync folders to the drives.
Until Monterrey it was fine. But after Monterrey I found out that after every sync I couldn't create folders or files on those volumes anymore. It showed as I lost write privileges. I had to unmount and remount them to get them back to normal.

I used driveDx and read the S.M.A.R.T.-Values and they are all perfectly fine.

I ditched CarbonCopyCloner and formatted both drives. Did first aid and filled them with some files.

After a few months I had something strange happen. When I shutdown my Intel iMac 27" the computer is qiet for like 10-30 seconds, and then automatically turns itself on again, only to show me a kernel panic.

This happens only when those two drives (or one of them) are connected. I can't post the exact kernel panic but googling showed me nothing. Its basically "timeout because external drive did not shutdown in 30000ms".

What I also found out is, that I cant search in spotlight on those drives. It just has no results. So I did the open Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy and tried to add both drives and remove them again. But this didn't work because of "Because of an unknown error the volume cannot be added or removed".

When I do an first aid in disk utility, I can add them again to spotlight exclude and remove them again, instantly triggering spotlight indexing (mdworker).

But after that, it works for one day and the same exact thing happens again.

I fixed it now in the following way, that those external drives are in spotlight exclude list. I don't get any kernel panics now.

Does anyone have an idea what could happened to both my external drives? Did Monterrey screw something up? Did CarbonCopyCloner do something to them? I have seen quite stuff in the last 10 years, but this is just unexplainable.

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
When your mac system automatically keeps restarting again and again and also showing signs of kernel panic in mac then there might be some serious issues that you need to fix immediately. The issues can be related to Hardware or Software.

To fix hardware related issues:

1. Check the peripheral devices connected to your Mac
2. Check the internal RAM or any 3rd party hardware on your Mac

To fix software related issues:

1. Check for pending updates
2. Boot Mac in safe mode
3. Reset PRAM/NVRAM/SMC
4. Repair Mac drive using Disk utility
5. Clean your disk
6. Reinstall macOS

Hope this will help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.