Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you experienced kernel panics with 10.3.8?

• More than usual

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Fewer than usual

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • About the same

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I was at the forums, and I noticed this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/56207/

So, I had the same experience with a kernel panic, and I took the decision to start a new topic, requesting information and solution to my kernel panics with 10.3.8.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/113167/

Others have been experiencing kernel panics, too! If you are unsure of what I am talking about, just read the two links above.

And the most strange thing is that in most cases, systems were stable until 10.3.7, but kernel panics started to increase after the 10.3.8 update. Same thing happened to me.

So, this topic is more like a poll, rather that a discussion. I would like you to report here whether your system has become more unstable after the 10.3.8 update or not. Have you too been experiencing kernel panics with 10.3.8?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I voted "About the same" = ZERO kernel panics for over a year now. I have not gotten KPs from any of the Mac OS X updates.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Never had a KP in the two years I've owned my iMac, and that's with frequent updates. Now running 10.3.8

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mine was OK until last night when after reading the first thread about PBs and panics after 10.3.8, mine froze completely. Only thing to do was hold down the powerbutton. When it came back up, I did some maintenance - only for it to do the same thing this morning. 2 in 24 hours is definitely more than usual!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Applespider said:
Mine was OK until last night when after reading the first thread about PBs and panics after 10.3.8, mine froze completely. Only thing to do was hold down the powerbutton. When it came back up, I did some maintenance - only for it to do the same thing this morning. 2 in 24 hours is definitely more than usual!

That makes me wonder how many problems are due to the anxiety detector causing them. :D It seems that our problems are often in direct relation to our current state of mind. ;)

I just received another Kernel Panic, apparently due to my Logitech trackball. I went through all of that during 10.3.3 and 10.3.5, I believe. Why is it back? I suppose it could be a problem with the Logitech software since I removed my Logitech keyboard last week after receiving two KPs.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
yeah me too

I voted fewer than normal but that would be zero - the only problem I had was when I tried to boot a G5 2.5+6800 with 10.3.4 boot CD - no NVIDEA drivers - but that is not their (apple or the G5s) fault.

So I'm not sure where in lies peoples problems but everything since 10.3.4 (my first real OS X exp) has been amazingly ROCK SOLID.

Well every now and then a program will quit but a restart of just that program problem goes away.... just the sad moment when bits collide.

igucl said:
Never had a KP in the two years I've owned my iMac, and that's with frequent updates. Now running 10.3.8

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I never had Kernel panics with my iBook until today when I read this thread... I'm serious...

I was in the train and I change my network location from WLAN to Bluetooth and got to Internet through my Mobile phone, I do that almost everyday, but today was pretty special, was reading MR, my E-mail, disconnected and wanted to send a SMS using address book , something pretty usual for me, again, almost everyday, but got e KPs continuously trying to do the same process, I have to admit that the only difference between today and before is that the battery of my mobile phone was pretty empty, maybe a kind of connection problem to handle the signal, I wouldn't claim that totally but it also depends on how the BT was written in the iBook to be operated as a function of signal strength, could be a kinda small bug on that protocol, surely I can complain about my mobile phone BT protocol, I had problems before (Jaguar 10.2.8, Coincidence? Hope you remember how buggy that was ... pulled ) but again, it's the first time with my iBook, that time I had the 12" PB ...

Now, everything is working great, just like that, great, I'm at home and WTH, thinking about the ( You know you spend too much time on MR forums when...) thread :eek: ... you BV :D ...

bont

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
I've just had to resort to reinstalling back to 10.3.5, and so far everything is running back to normal again

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Hm... What are your system specs? I heard that kernel panics happen more often to G5 macs

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Haven't had a single kernel panic on my PB since I got it in June 04. I've had 3 on the G5 iMac I bought in Jan 05 (10.3.7). From the crash log they were all USB related, which seems to be not entirely unknown. Since I started unplugging my Canon scanner when I'm not using it, I haven't had any more panics.

I upgraded both systems to 10.3.8 about 10 days ago. No problems so far.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
10.3.8 update

I used the combo update to 10.3.8 aftre the fresh install (erase & install) of OS X and so far I did not have any kernel panic. When I did the incremental update to 10.3.7 from 10.3.6, both of my Ti and Al PB had kernel panic. Clean install and combo to 3.8 did a trick, I guess. Of course repair permissions before and after the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.