Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
What is 'kernel_task' in activity monitor?
Why does it appear many times sometimes and hardly ever others?

Regards Sharkey

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
kernel_task is your operating system. It's the first process that launches, and it handles all the low level stuff, memory management, CPU management, hardware accesss, etc.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
It's the first process that launches
Strictly speaking, I think that would be `launchd` ... which is macOS's "init process" in conventional Unix speak.

Unlike all the other processes shown in Activity Monitor, I don't think `kernel_task` is a real process. Apple just chose to present it as a pseudo-process in the CPU tab so they could reuse that existing UI for an easy way to show some kernel statistics.

Nothing to worry about. There shouldn't be more than one instance of it, though!

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Strictly speaking, I think that would be `launchd` ... which is macOS's "init process" in conventional Unix speak.

Unlike all the other processes shown in Activity Monitor, I don't think `kernel_task` is a real process. Apple just chose to present it as a pseudo-process in the CPU tab so they could reuse that existing UI for an easy way to show some kernel statistics.

Nothing to worry about. There shouldn't be more than one instance of it, though!
The EFI Firmware starts the kernel, then the kernel starts launchd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.