Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
So I have a Rev A SSD Macbook Air (purchased ~9 months ago).

Originally it was fine, but as I've kept using it I've experienced the kernel_task issue more and more. These days, after a few hours of being on, the laptop will stall on any full screen video or any flash video, even youtube. I've never had any core shutdown problems.

I'm not living in my home country right now, so I haven't attempted to get a repair done on it.

What is Apple doing in these situations now? The laptop is totally unacceptable for me, and from what I've read the problem is inherent in all rev a models.

I should also point out that some screws are coming out of the base (!) and the hinge and frame are creaking like crazy.

ericFaivre

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
kernel tasks

I had my MBA SSD for 6 month.
It started to become unbelievably slow and I send it to an Apple Reseller a week ago (I live in Jakarta, Indonesia)
Apparently the logic board and the top case have to be replaced.
Hope it will fix the issue.
eric

bobsaget611

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
i had the same issue and also the screws coming out too, what a coincidence. but anyways, after dealing with apple and being moved up to very high customer service and having pretty much every component being replaced in my computer (logic board, case, display, fan assembly, etc) they just said they could not figure out the issue.

that is why i now have a macbook pro. SO MUCH BETTER, never stutters or overheats with just daily use, which apparently my air couldn't handle.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
CoolBook will fix it. ($10) Like I posted this same message a dozen times by now...

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
i had the same issue and also the screws coming out too, what a coincidence. but anyways, after dealing with apple and being moved up to very high customer service and having pretty much every component being replaced in my computer (logic board, case, display, fan assembly, etc) they just said they could not figure out the issue.

that is why i now have a macbook pro. SO MUCH BETTER, never stutters or overheats with just daily use, which apparently my air couldn't handle.
I went from a rev A to a 13" MBP the screen was crap and the glare kills went and bought another A and finally happy :)

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
CoolBook will fix it. ($10) Like I posted this same message a dozen times by now...

I understand, but I won't be going down that route.

A) It's $10 I shouldn't have to spend.

B) I should have a functioning laptop without having to underclock it and reduce performance.

C) This problem gets progressively worse, and I don't want to delay the failure of my laptop until it is out of AppleCare. I'd rather it fails after 1.5 years and is replaced than to fail after 3 years because some tool has delayed the failure.

Looks like I'll be taking it in to Apple. Incidentally, I just installed the new firmware update and the problem hasn't resurfaced. Might be because the weather's been a bit cooler, though.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
It's up to you to spend hours over hours and frustration on something that can be eternally stopped in 10 minutes. And since when does it reduce performance? It's used to also boost performance when MBA needs it. Default throttling kind of sucks.

And I doubt keeping it vanilla will make your MBA fail faster... in fact, undervolting may fail it faster, who knows.

Firmware upgrade only fixes core shutdown, but not the kernel_task, meaning practically zero effect.

If I were to choose to spend hours and frustration everyday that you know is basically not possible to fix, then I can gladly fix it with a cheap app.

I don't see the point that you need to fight something that Apple won't fix. Complete waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.