Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
The file locations to add support for a new video card seem to have changed; I have a XFX 7850 2GB Core edition, with IDs 6819/1002 and the only place I can see to add this is in /S/L/E/AMDRadeonX4000.kext in the Pitcairn section as it's not there already.

It doesn't work entirely however as there's no acceleration enabled, only basic video support. Are there any other locations that need editing now on 10.9 besides that one kext? thanks..

Last edited:

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
to answer my own question: dev2 now includes extra kexts corresponding to what was present in 10.8- needed to edit the AMDRadeonX4000.kext as well as AMD7000Controller.kext to get the 7850 recognized. boots right up, with acceleration, no helper card needed. thanks apple

wileyjacobs

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Do you have acceleration or multi-monitor support in the dev2? How about the final release? Does it work now? Mine doesn't have acceleration or multi-monitor support at this point. If yours does, any suggestions?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Did you fix kexts properly?

Did you reinstall and fix permissions?

You can use glview and see if it lists card or says "apple Software renderer"

In which case, no acceleration as no driver is loaded

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.