Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Figure I'd post it here since it seems mostly related to webdesign, but feel free to move it if it's of more general interest.

Some might think this obvious, but british researchers have found that men and woman have different preferences when it comes to webdesign.

Where visuals are concerned, males favour the use of straight lines (as opposed to rounded forms), few colours in the typeface and background, and formal typography. As for language, they favour the use of formal or expert language with few abbreviations and are more likely to promote themselves and their abilities heavily.

Don't belive it's mentioned in any of the linked pages, but there was a similar study in France and Poland, with similar results.

There's also been a study of websites related to Beauty products and Sports fishing. 77% of the Sports fishing websites were designed by men. More interesting, perhaps, considering the recent research, is that 78% of the Beauty products websites where also designed by men.
Maybe the ones who make Beauty product should consider hiring more female webdesigners?
I'm not aware of the male:female ratio of designers, so whould this be a problem?

Link: Press release
Link: BBC Article

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
dubbz said:
Figure I'd post it here since it seems mostly related to webdesign, but feel free to move it if it's of more general interest.

Some might think this obvious, but british researchers have found that men and woman have different preferences when it comes to webdesign.

Don't belive it's mentioned in any of the linked pages, but there was a similar study in France and Poland, with similar results.

There's also been a study of websites related to Beauty products and Sports fishing. 77% of the Sports fishing websites were designed by men. More interesting, perhaps, considering the recent research, is that 78% of the Beauty products websites where also designed by men.
Maybe the ones who make Beauty product should consider hiring more female webdesigners?
I'm not aware of the male:female ratio of designers, so whould this be a problem?

Link: Press release
Link: BBC Article

As far as I know, there's a much higher ratio of men to women in web design, but it'd be interesting to find out an actual statistic (but, like most statistics, it wouldn't be a real accurate representation of the field because of the prominence of amateur/professionals in the field). It's an interesting study though.
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.